Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Year 2009 Resolution Updates

1. Learn some new hairstyles.

No progress whatsoever. I am still very much that 7th grade girl who tried to understand the stuff on top of her head.  But I did add bangs. Whoohoo!

2. Learn to preserve jam.
No jam. But pickles, yes. I'd love to say that "I'm a natural" or "It's so easy" but I'm not to that point. I did feel very domestic.

3. Grow an honest-to-goodness producing garden.
Oh, it's producing. Some beautiful tomotoes. Some struggling cabbage. A bit of weeds and some very hot leaf lettuce. (Who knew leaf lettuce came in flavors of fire?)

4. Memorize the Ten Commandments. In order. Verbatim.
Okay, I've memorized the KIDS version of this. (They don't say "adultery" for commandment 7... they said "Be faithful in marriage".) Am still learning the verbose big person version. :) But they're important, so it's worth it.

5. Give knitting a whirl.
Notice I said "a whirl" and not "become a master knitter". Well, I'm whirling. I'm knitting something that is beginning to look scarf-like. 

6. Make family first:
1. My household family.
2. My siblings/parents.
3. My "family-ish" friends.
This isn't really a measurable goal. What was I thinking?

7. Make Dan more of a priority.
Ditto.

8. Show hospitality in simple ways. (Dan wants to showcase his beer... Beer and Chili dinners?)
Oh yeah... I had a baby... what was I thinking? I've shown hospitality to two little girls and that's all. :)

9. Use my decorating abilities to make the house feel more like "us" and less like the last owners.
This one is coming along okay. I'm getting there. Will post pics as progress occurs.

10. Show my gratefulness for health this year by doing physically fun activities. Canoeing? Biking with the fam?
Recall early comment about having baby. Survival.

3 comments:

Sittintall said...

The fact that you did some of these goals is great (after all there were 10!). I'm with you though on survival mode. I think you're kind of in that mode until the baby is at least one year old (maybe even 16 mo).

Short Stop said...

It is uber cool that you recorded these things and are now updating your progress. I think it's interesting how you noted that your goal of making family first is a hard one to measure. It's such a good goal, and yet you're so right - so hard to guage progress on that one. It's one of my goals, too.

I agree with Sarah - you get at least a year's grace on resolutions made after a birthin' year! Definitely.

Jenni S. said...

I know this is gonna sound lame, but I agree with Sarah (both of them, LOL). The fact that you've made homemade pickles, grew a garden, learned how to knit, worked on memorizing Scripture, and worked on decorating your house along with taking care of a newborn and a 5 yo...well, here's me clapping and giving you a standing O. You deserve it!