Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Christmas Spirit

This morning, in the true spirit of Christmas, I barked at Morgan. *sigh*

I made "crazy face".

Not familiar with "crazy face"? T'aint pretty.

It's the face of a momma who is on the brink of insanity. If you take a roll of Scotch tape and apply it to your face haphazardly in order to rearrange your features, then you'll have perfectly imitated "crazy face". Add a convincing growl and you're on your way to the funny farm.

I knew at the moment that "crazy face" made its appearance that I needed to mend my relationship with Morgan. Fast.

I asked Morgan, "Would you like to go on a date with Mommy?" She did. (Thankfully, whew!)

Then I called the sitter across the street and asked her to come to my house at 11:30.

Because the Christmas movie I wanted to take Morgan to started at 12:30.

I grimaced at the freezing rain. I said a prayer of safety and we were off.

I forgot how wonderful it was to be alone with Morgan. I forgot the feel of her hand in mine. And I forgot how much fun it is to let her choose her very own candy at the theater. *Big, wide eyes of excitement.*

We found our seat in the theater. We saw a lousy movie. It was scary and not Christmassy.

But it didn't matter. We were in it together. Disappointing movies and inclement weather. Together.

It's been a crazy December, but I think I found a Christmas spirit in that moment. She was under my nose all along.

2 comments:

Mercy said...

Emily, this is beautiful. I barked at Sandie the other day and immediately knew that I needed to mend. I didn't do all that you did for Morgan. But I did tell her what I truly feel, that I don't know what I would do without her. And just reading your post, I too realize that the Christmas spirit that I've been missing has been right there under my nose the entire time.

thank you for sharing

Team Alix said...

**BIG GRIN**