Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Flirt Tea

When I was single, I loved to flirt. I didn't do anything over the top--except for once when I played tag with a guy's best friend in the dark and got shinned by a log. (What is it with women thinking they can get to a man through his best friend? Lame, lame, lame.)

Anyhoooo...

Once I became Dan's right hand woman, I turned the flirties "off" with all others and let Dan become the target of my womanly wiles.

We got married and I found that I still wanted to flirt with him.

A year into our marriage, I found that my heart still leapt when he walked into a room.

After several years I began to wonder when this man would stop making me act so goofy.

Last week we went to a furniture store and an older saleswoman helped us. She told us about this line of furniture and invited us to look online. The name of the furniture was Hoo*ker. We were able to suppress our fifth-grade smirks. But then the woman continued, "Make sure you go to Hoo*ker Furniture.com and not just Hoo*ker.com." Her gaze was penetrating as if she were warning us.

At that moment, I knew I could not look at Dan. I made eye contact with another piece of furniture and managed to suppress the laughter until Dan and I got in the car. He has that effect on me.

A few years ago a friend visited our house and opened the medicine cabinet of our bathroom. (Yeah, I don't know why people do that either.) He found some little notes that I wrote to Dan inside the cabinet. They said things like "hubba hubba" and how lucky I was. My friend wished that his relationship with his wife was like that. It thought about that comment for a moment. And then I told him, "You know, I'm only mirroring what he does to me. He fills my cup and makes me feel special."

And he does. Dan writes me emails. Sends facebook remarks. And I love reading his online vernacular because I can absolutely picture him saying it.

This morning I watched him pull out of the garage; I do that almost every morning. I don't know why I do that... I guess it's because we're never quite finished with a conversation when he's leaving for work. When Morgan is with me, sometimes we come up with a mini dance routine to do when he leaves. One more smile from him as he zooms off.

I love this man. I love how he still drives a 1997 Corolla (the ultimate of man-mobiles) because he considers a paid-for car more important than his ego. I love how he wields the most amazing patience with me, with Morgan... and I'm sure, eventually, with Eve. I love his humor. I love that he wants to be a part of our family. I've never heard him even allude to "woman's work". Heck... he'll even get those items at the grocery store... and every woman on earth knows what I mean by "those items". Uh-huh. He's that guy.

*swoon*

So why I am writing this post? Well... because life is full of ho-hum days. I'm grateful for a man who helps us dodge the national average of marital unhappiness and keep life focused on the good.

*Have a good day at work, Sweetie.*

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

I absolutely love this!!!

Joseph K. said...

You need to watch the movie Fireproof if you haven't seen it. Everything that you say Dan is/does...and should....the initial storyline of the movie is that this guy doesn't/isn't that way.

Jenni S. said...

I. just. love. this. It's exactly how I feel about Dave and it makes me so happy to know that others have this kind of bond with their spouse. Oh, Emily, I bet you Dan was so pleased to read such a tribute.