Monday, May 11, 2009

Basket

I've lived in this house for about 2 years now. I've looked at a bare wall in my family room for those two years and wondered what to put there. It needed something.

I bought something from Pott*ery Barn but it didn't look right. At least not there.

My sister Noel can buy a house and have it completely decorated (fabulously, I might add) in about 3 weeks. She's amazing.

But I'm slower. I've tried to design more quickly. It's not my style.

__________________

A few weeks ago I went out with my friend Stephanie to Gen*eva. If you've never been to Gen*eva, Illinois... it's about the quaintest place on planet earth. Amazing finds. 

Steph may as well be my good luck charm, if I believed in them. Last time I went shopping with her I found a yellow clay urn in an antique shop. 

This time we found a basket. A really unique one:


It's from France (or so they told me). I think it's some type of harvest basket. Check out the size:

As soon as I saw it, I knew it was "the one" for that wall. I asked the cashier how much it was. It's probably uncouth to say to all of bloggyland how much this puppy was, but it was so reasonable that I had to hold back my shriek of delight. 

Don't know about you, but as a stay-at-home mom, I don't get much time to shop for good deals let alone really über cool decor. It's just not that time of life.

I felt like God was smiling on me, holding that basket there until I could get it. Do you ever have those moments?

The basket is mounted on the wall. The large scale speaks of bounty. I picture the many hands that may have held the 10 handles on this basket. Perhaps a family? I hope that the guests of our house feel the warmth it offers. 

(Thanks for the suggestion, Jenni... Here's what it looks like in our room.)

5 comments:

Lettered Cottage said...

I love those moments...sigh. :-)
I can see it sitting somewhere will big blankets rolled up in it!
It would also look great filled with logs, by a fireplace.

Layla
The Lettered Cottage

Jenni S. said...

That is very cool, Emily. So, do we get to see the wall where you hung it?

Sheryl said...

Ooo! I like

Short Stop said...

When you brought that out to show me, I'm admitting that I was jealous of that gorgeous basket. Because that thing is AWESOME and looks like you paid WAY more for it than you did!!! It is PERFECT for that wall, and perfect with the decor you have in that room. Love, love, LOVE it!!!

Ems, that room is one of the most inviting family rooms one could imagine. And, that basket - it just adds to the warmth and family-ness of it.

Shannon said...

Nice!

We've been here almost 5 years and the house still isn't complete. I've given up now and am just waiting for the next house ;)