Saturday, May 30, 2009

Mark*lund Home

Today my family and I did something different for a Saturday morning activity. We visited Mark*lund Home, a home to many wonderful people, many of whom happen to be severely handicapped. 

Have you ever walked into a place and known that there was a spirit of hope there? At Mark*lund, the hope was more than just a whiff... it was seeping out from the mortar and bathing each resident there. 

Before I arrived, I was advised to find some less handicapped children to acclimate my 5-year old daughter to people with less mental and physical abilities. To be honest, I did it just as much for myself as for her. Can I confess? I was scared. 

Our first introduction was to a little girl, 'Tina"*, who was the only one who could wheel her own chair. She rode right up to Morgan and another little girl who came with us. Forget the adults... this little one wanted to play. Morgan was shy at first and stayed flatly against the wall. I understood.

The nurses there had us gather in an activity room where we met about 10 of the residents. First we did a craft. The children at Mark*lund have very little physical ability, so we did the craft for them and showed them the results. We wrote their name with foamy stickers on construction paper. 

As I got to know this group of 10, I saw less of their handicap and more of what a momma would see. I saw beautiful long eyelashes and stunning, deep eyes. I saw wide, open-mouthed smiles. I saw a hand reach slowly for someone else. I saw a tantrum. I saw an accomplishment. I saw kids with feelings just like everyone else, but with less ability to communicate those feelings. 

After the craft, my dear Morgan was still not excited about this morning venture. She sat in a far corner and stuck her tongue out, somewhat gagging. Morgan exemplified the feelings that I felt inside, but knew I had to overcome. "See the image of God," I kept telling her. I told myself the same.

The second hour we played a version of Yahtzee in which 6" soft die were cast by the children. Dan loved this game. The children loved the game. And my dear Morgan began to shed her fears and started to hand out the dice to the other children. She also began asking the nurses questions: "Why does he have that thing in his throat?" or "Why is there a tube on her finger?" The kind nurses helped her feel more at ease. 

At the end of the game, Tina wheeled up to Morgan again. Morgan donned an overly exaggerative smile and waved with her fingers. Tina waved back. The nurses became excited, "Did you see Tina wave? She hasn't done that in ages!" My heart swelled with such joy that my daughter would work past her fears to interact with someone quite different from her, that she would give and receive love.

The ride home from Mark*lund was pretty quiet. A heart can only hold so much and mine was overflowing with a cocktail of mixed emotions. 
I was amazed at Mark*lund home's facility and staff... so hopeful, so kind, so enthusiastic. 
I was darn proud of my Morgan for facing her fears and deciding to love, to be part of the game.
I was glad for my husband's support and thankful for baby Eve's quick smile to the residents there.
I was torn to see children there whose parents didn't want to be involved but who had wonderful friends in the staff. 

God, bless Mark*lund Home. Bless it, bless it, bless it.

* Names are changed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like this was a very special day for your whole family! And your post made me cry. (: God bless YOU guys for being a blessing to those children (and the staff).

Jenny

Short Stop said...

Wow, Em. I lauged and cried through this whole story.

I loved seeing Morgan's heart change - from gagging and withdrawing to choosing to play.

What a special day for your family.

Jenni S. said...

What a wonderful morning and great lessons for all of you. As I read your words, I can only imagine that my heart might be feeling the same things. God bless you all too, for your generosity of spirit and for modeling His love to your children.