Sunday, May 31, 2009

Mattresses

For many weeks now, I've tried to blog about what's happening in the Dykstra household. What's happening is immensely difficult and confusing and trying. It's really not bloggable. It doesn't fit neatly within any category and it only gives the hearer a sense of unrest. No neat little ends to tie up within, say, 5 paragraphs. 

So why am I blogging at all? 

If you're at all familiar with the phrase "go to the mattresses", then you'll have an idea.

When life is truly overwhelming and plans to be so for a long while, what do you do? To release tension? To remember who you are? For me, I often go to my cookbooks. 

When I want to remember the strength of my past, I like to dig in some old family recipes, collect new family recipes and try new ones... Food. 

The point isn't to eat the food in a gluttonous cry fest of anxiety. The catharsis comes in the thoughtful making of the food. This isn't a time for low-fat or quick-n-easy. It's not a time for gourmet ostentation either. It's a time of reflection, joy and nourishment.

In making the recipe of, say, my precious Great Grandmother's Caramel Frosting (to *die* for), I connect with her hospitality and grace. I remember her dining table stretched to its very longest length and card tables attached at the ends to extend it still further. I remember the joy of receiving a piece of this marvelous cake and feeling like I was well cared for. This woman knew how to bake, too. Her cheese rolls? Made with real lard and goo-gobs of sharp cheddar. Her kitchen was never really closed, it just took a nap on occasion. She loved people by making them really. good. food.

My grammy preferred baking to cooking. To this day, I think she makes a pie almost every other day. I watched her knowing hands take a simple fork and mix the crust the last time I visited her in Florida. I wanted to stay there at that very counter forever and listen to her pad around the kitchen and tell me tidbits about groceries that were on sale. She's the quintessential grandma with cookies in the oven, on the counter in a tin or in the freezer. One day, I may even share her simple Hersh*ey Kiss Shortbread cookies. *swoon*

My loving husband would  have me believe that he basically grew up on slabs of steak and sides of potatoes. He jests, of course. I know this for a fact because a few weeks ago I visited his parents by myself with the girls and copied beloved recipes from his grandmother and mother. (That's right, Dan. I got the noodles recipe.) And I got a few others. Pickles. Pies. Jams. Oh my. 

Life doesn't promise to be easy, so I have to keep moving forward and show my daughters the heart of our home. You know--it may just be in the kitchen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have such a way with words, Emily...and the pictures you paint with your stories are always so, don't know, intriguing. I always feel a sense of, "I can't wait to read what she writes next..." Anyway, I do hope everything's okay with you, and I'm praying. Lean on the Lord! And have fun in the kitchen. :)

Jenny

Short Stop said...

And this, my friend, is one of the (MANY) reasons we connect like we do. This is exactly what happens to me in times of turmoil - I can't count the times I have fallen asleep with a cookbook across my chest - hoping to find some a sense of calm in those pages.

The heart of our home is the kitchen, too. Love just naturally pours out from there.

Short Stop said...

BTW, I'm praying.

Jenni S. said...

You know, photography/blogging are like that for me. I enjoy cooking, though I'm not quite the foodie you (or Sarah) are.

But this post reminded me of something else. I once asked an acquaintance of mine why she was sewing something in particular. And she gave me some of the wisest motherhood advice I've heard in a long while. She said that someone once told her that she should spend some part of her day doing something that couldn't be undone by others. Whether it is sewing, painting, blogging, whatever. She said that, as mothers, we spend so much of our days doing things that are constantly undone (diapers, dishes, laundry, cleaning) that if we didn't do something that had some kind of permanance, we'd eventually go crazy at the futility of it all.

I don't know if that helps at all, but when I heard it I was profoundly blessed and it made me stop and think about my own anti-futile activities.

I will be praying for this season of life for you, Emily!!