Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Soup Days

This morning started with a bang. A rush. A 6am "quick-open-this-present" because your father has to leave for work.
Breakfast.
A crying baby. Teething, naturally.
A doorbell rings. Three different times.
The phone rings.

The morning is full of life and vim and vigor. I wouldn't want it any other way.

But then, I wouldn't mind a little slowness once in a while. A little quiet. Restoration.

Hush, busy morning.

After this morning's busyness, I had a hankering for some soup.
Roasted veggie soup.

Now if you're the "5 minute dinner" kind of person, may I gently suggest to you that you need this soup. Because this soup tastes like time and love and joy.

First, I cut up some veggies. Root veggies work great, but so do others.
Parsnips.
Carrots.
Celery.
Onion.

I know you're used to hearing amounts of things for recipes, but I'm resisting it. Fill up your cookie tray with veggie goodness. Keep it in a single layer. Like this:


Drizzle some olive oil on it and season it with a little salt. Not too much now.
Now, put it in the oven at 400 degrees for about a half hour.
When the veggies start to tenderize and turn brown, pull them out.
Use your nose and your eyes and a piercing fork as your guide.
Here, smell:

Now, put them in a generous stock pot and pour a half cup or so of white wine on them.
And then add some chicken stock to cover. Maybe a dash more.
Now taste it. Not quite right? Add a little oregano.


Put the soup on medium for a little while, say 20 minutes.

Now you can eat the soup just the way it is and it will be perfectly yummy.

But we want it to be masterful.

So add a little cream. The olive oil will float in little bubbles on the top. The veggies will look more vibrant, the stock will appear deeper.

If your windows are open, you may hear the doorbell ring because a neighbor just wanted to "drop by".

It's up to you if you answer it.

4 comments:

Short Stop said...

O. Meh. GA! [insert valley girl delighted stare}

I am going to make some roasted veggie soup for my lunch tomorrow. I have all of these things and I will think of you while I'm eating it! :)

I have missed your recipes. Your insanely good rice, Mexican cry for your Momma casserole is one of my faves.

And, the chocolate sauce. OH, that chocolate sauce.

And, now - I have a feeling I am going to love roasted veggie soup, too!

Like totally.

Sheryl said...

YUM!!

Oddly, on the NBC 5 news this morning, they made a very very similar soup - and that looked delish too!! :)

YUM again!

Team Alix said...

mmm.... I can't wait to try this! It looks delicious and you described it so that my mouth is alredy watering. My lunch packed for work is lame in comparison....

Jenni S. said...

Yum.