Sunday, October 11, 2009

Vision



It's Sunday. I can see clearly now.

Okay, maybe not perfectly, but clearly enough.

My family spent this weekend with dear old friends in Michigan. We had hoped to meet some new friends there as well, but the cold season is upon us. That will have to wait for another day.

Point is: I went to Michigan with fuzzy vision and came back with clearer sight.

Here's how I know:
On the road trip back, I sat between the girls in the back seat. I laughed with Morgan. I can't remember the last time I laughed with her with no care for time. We giggled about nonsense words and blew bubbles with our gum. It was effortless fun. Not prepared or contrived or premeditated. Just fun.

On my other side was my bendy baby... she gnawed on her toes and laughed at me as I changed my voice and made overly dramatic faces. My, I'm blessed.

I looked in the front seat at Dan and thanked God for a kind husband. We haven't seen a lot of each other lately. The fog of life keeps me from seeing the blessings right in front of me. My, he's handsome. And funny. How in the world did I land such a gem? God's gift, for sure.

I'm unsure how a beautifully simple weekend with friends could adjust my vision so, but it did. Now I'm an evangelist of joy and fun and "oh-what-the-hey"... Something about living in the moment with 5 spunky children and 4 dedicated parents will revive life in anyone's soul.

We picked apples. Have I seen my husband so giddy? Apple juice dripped from his chin as he sunk his teeth into a very large Jonagold.

We ate food. Very good eats. My friend Sarah speaks "foodie" very well.

We laughed a great deal.

And tonight, when I came home, I saw something amazing: There are people in my house.
I didn't see Cheerios on the floor.
I didn't see laundry or bills or messyness.
I saw Dan and Morgan and Eve.

Thank God for friends and food and weekends.
And brand new eyesight.

3 comments:

Short Stop said...

We loved spending the weekend with you.

Every time we have one of these weekends together, I always feel the same way when it ends - thankful, rejuvenated, belly a bit firmer from all of the laughter, understood and loved.

Though, it makes me miss our time in MD when we could have date nights and dinners in and fun adventures whenever we wanted. :(

Jenni S. said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend. So glad you all enjoyed your visit together!

Emily Dykstra said...

We loved it too, Sar. Thanks for having us.

I do wish I could have met you, Jenni. Next time before we meet, your family and mine will pop vitamin C's all week, okay? ;)

Em