Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Church Shoes

It's 4 weeks until Easter. For those of you with boys, I'm not sure if the concept of "church shoes" or, even more, "Easter shoes" translates. It may, but there's only estrogen in my house (with the exception of Dan) and so I plead ignorance.

Easter shoes.

Last year before Easter I went to Stri.de Rite Shoes to find some simple white dress shoes for Morgan. I went there out of desperation because every other shoe source was void of these; their cupboards were bare. 

Usually when I enter a store, a friendly representative asks if they can help. They did. But upon hearing the words "Easter shoes", they nearly laughed my derriere out the door. I was buying them too late, apparently. 

Noted.

So this year, a bit more wise, I decided to purchase shoes at Tar.get without my daughter in the hopes of 1) Buying them more inexpensively, and 2) Not having to convince my daughter that glitter Hann.ah Montana shoes would NOT do for dressy. 

To my great joy, Morgan loved the new shoes. 

Clip, clop. Clip, clop. She wears them around the house.

Clippety, clippety, clippety clop. "Watch me tap dance, Mom!"

I wish the story could end there, but the pendulum swung far to the other side. 

My daughter so loved her shoes, in fact, that she wants to wear them everywhere.

I dare to explain the concept of dress shoes to my preschooler:

Me: "They're church shoes, Morgan."

Morgan: "I already have church shoes. These are my new dress up shoes."

Me: "They're for dressing up on Sunday. But you can wear them inside the house."

Morgan: "I want to wear them outside, too. I want to show my friends."

Me: "Nope. We have to keep them clean. I'm glad you like them, though."

Morgan: "Alright, then you can buy me another pair that I can wear however I want."

(I'm leaving out the next line of communication as my daughter received some education in economics and respect of elders.)

An hour later, Morgan had taped stars to them. 
Lands, child, you are going to drive me crazy.

Expecting to have to pin Morgan down to even wear these shoes to church, I had not anticipated that I may have to use a shoehorn to pry them off her happy feet. 

I smile at the curve ball thrown me. And tonight I'll smile again. When Dan comes home and relieves me from her one man show.

I love this kid. She drives me crazy at times, but I love her.

4 comments:

Short Stop said...

OMG, I am laughing so hard. I can't even tell you why (because I feel such compassion for you) - except that the taping of the stars did me in - once and for all. I held it together until then.

OH MY WORD, Em. Man, I would be so sad if you ever stopped blogging Morgan stories. They are by far, the best kid stories I read.

Shannon said...

haha! We've been having shoe issues here too. Madeline wants to wear her rain boots all the time and everywhere. It's either those or her little mermaid costume shoes that have heels and light up.

I guess I'm too late to find Easter shoes for miss M. When you see her wearing her black shiny shoes on Easter don't laugh ;)

Jenni S. said...

Oh Emily, she is truly one of a kind. I can see why you laugh and why she drives you crazy all in the same breath. I know the feeling!

Sittintall said...

What a great idea. I need to go shoe shopping withOUT Kyra next time. She always goes for the "Hannah Montana" type shoes too. Never dull at your house is it?