Thursday, March 19, 2009

Delayed Gratification


Lately when we go grocery shopping, Morgan notes that "we don't get anything for her". I try to explain that "it's groceries, dear... it's for EVERYONE." When I'm more frustrated I ask her, "You like to eat, doncha?" and encourage her to hush. 

I began to dread the grocery shopping experience because no matter HOW much we had THE TALK before going into the grocery store, I began to feel like the "no-no momma". 

Before I continue, allow me to give the definition of "The No-No Momma": 
n. a maternal figurehead who has become so accustomed to her offspring's ludicrous requests and pleadings that she has turned off any critical thinking in favor of saying "no" at virtually all requests. 

At each grocery store visit, I also became accustomed to saying, "No, Morgan, we need to use our money wisely."

One evening this week, my 5 year old hefted her very pregnant piggy bank all the way downstairs and donned a smile that would put the Cheshire Cat to shame. "I'm ready to spend my money wisely," she announced. 

Touché.

So hubs and I met in the planning room. (Read: The bedroom. Before we fall asleep.) We agreed that the requests were becoming too much. We agreed that Morgan needed to learn (drumroll, please) delayed gratification. Now I know that that is a word that generation x ain't too groovy with, but it's a fairly easy concept we learned as children: "You don't always get what you want." 

Mission Delayed Gratification commenced. I took Morgan to Toy*s R Us today. I let her know that we were NOT buying anything but we would find a toy that she liked, find out the cost and have her save for it. Before we went into the store I asked her again, "Why are we going in the store?" She answered, "To not buy anything." Close enough. 

We found a toy for about $6.00. Do we need the toy? Nope. But it's a great way to teach our smart daughter that if she wants something, she has the ability to work for it. We'll re-institute the allowance system and within the month, she'll be able to go to the store and purchase this toy with her own dollars. 

I hope it works.

In any case, whenever we're in the grocery store and "want that, want that", I'll be sure to jog her memory that we're saving up for something worth waiting for. 

And yes, you can pray for me. *wink*

5 comments:

Sittintall said...

Good for you. So many parents give in so easily, or don't bother to teach the value of saving. I think it's a wonderful thing. Way to go sista! I hope it goes well.

Anonymous said...

I remember those days. It's tough always saying 'no'. Come to think of it, I still have to do that now even with teenagers, but it's different in a way.

Maybe you should just send Dan to the grocery store all the time! :-)

Unknown said...

Yeah. That'd be great. Morgan doesn't act any differently when she goes to the grocery store with me.

Do you know how difficult it is to map a route through Meijer that takes you through aisles with no toys? Great marketing, I've gotta say.

Short Stop said...

Laughing, laughing, laughing.

I can see all of this unfold and am laughing with you - not at you. 'Cause I know her carrying that piggy bank down those stairs made you laugh. I know it!

You're such a good Momma - teaching her to save. I think we need an allowance system around here. I'm sick of the bribery. LOL!

Jenni S. said...

What a good idea! So how is it going?