Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Proposal

Good thing it's nearly time for dinner 'cause you could fry an egg on my head. 

I just watched the video summary of The Bachelor. Because all my friends keep talking about it. And for some reason, my blood pressure went from "tra la la la la" to livid faster than you can say "Will you, er, marry me"? 

So, in order to find my inner peace, and to give Mr. Bachelor an idea of what an APPROPRIATE proposal should look like, I decided to write about my own proposal. 

*ahem*

I'll keep it short and simple:

First, after a year of dating and getting to know each other, Dan planned a wonderful evening for the proposal. It was December 18, 1999. 

He took me first to dinner at the Baltimore Harbor (*swoon*).

Then he took me to see Handel's Messiah. (*more swoon*)

Then he asked me to marry him at the Baltimore Harbor at the site of our first swoon. (Translation: Our first flirtatious date.)

Now here's the kicker, Mr. Bachelor– he didn't UNASK me. Nope. He asked me with the nervous joy a marriage proposal should have... and I answered amidst crying guffaws of joy. So muddled were my words, in fact, that Dan had to essentially ask me again because he didn't understand "asdlkjhgoeihag". But most women answer the marriage proposal with "asdlkjhgoeihag". Because they're crying. Understandably. 

And ever since then, we haven't looked back because– in my mind– love should be completely honored to be married to the person one calls "husband" or "wife". 

I'm still honored. There isn't a day that goes by that Dan looks ordinary to me. And there's rarely a day where I don't think, "Dang. I got married. To Dan Dykstra. The guy I had a crush on in college. I still can't believe it. And lookie here... we made us some babies." 

*sigh*

Well, television will be what it will, but I intend to spend this lifetime in amazement at Dan's coming into my life.

*Love you, Babe.*

4 comments:

Jenni S. said...

I love this tribute to Dan -- so sweet. Living in my own wonderful love story, I really enjoy hearing about others.

I don't watch the Bachelor (used to the first couple of seasons), but it's ALL I've seen on almost every website I've gone to today. So I guess it really *was* the most dramatic rose ceremony ever...

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful story, Em.

The rose ceremony was lovely. It was the drama during the 'after the rose' ceremony that was the cause of all the talk....he dumped the women he proposed to (after 6 weeks) and asked the other one to give him a second chance.

Sheryl said...

Precious, precious!

I refuse to watch the Bachelor/Bachelorette. It never works and people get hurt (save for the one that actually DID work)

It's a dumb show, in my opinion. Competing publicly for the man of my dreams? There's a whole lotta pressure to deal with that I would never subject myself to - there's enough when cameras AREN'T following my every move! LOL

All it is is for people to get their 15 minutes of fame and/or to be selected as the NEXT Bachelor/Bachelorette (merrrr you know what you just went through, why would you do it again?) In a matter of weeks, we'll forget all about this Dramatic Rose Ceremony!

Whoa. I just went off on a tangent there. Sorry! :)

Congrats on your true life Bachelor/Bacherlorette story - I love it!

Short Stop said...

Yours is one of my favorite love stories ever. Because you are two of my favorite lovebirds.

Dan's proposal - I will never forget hearing the details. And, the looks of anticipation and wonder on both of your faces.

You two were MFEO. :)