Monday, September 14, 2009

Date Night

Fighting all the responsibilities which threatened to undo our datenight, Dan and I left our beloved offspring in the capable hands of a babysitter Friday night and had... an amazing dinner.

I am as cheap as they come when it comes to datenights. I make every effort to not spend too much money on an evening if I don't have to because we're already forking out dough for the sitter. But there are times when the occasion calls for it. 

Like being married to your best friend for nine years. *swoon* 
(And all the men rolled their eyes.)

Dan and I had an amazing dinner at Adelle's in Wheaton. 
I'm not here to tell you I had a fancy evening out. 
I'm writing because I had a beautiful, unforgettable evening out. 
It wasn't life changing, but it was life giving.

Have you ever been in the presence of something so beautiful that you felt physically changed afterward? I hope so. That was me. Friday night.

The ambiance at Adelle's is hard to describe without sounding cliché. It was simply breathtaking.
I wanted to live there. Forever. 
The restaurant is surrounded by a garden with a tall brick wall. There is ivy and small trees planted here and there. My favorite part was... hold your breath... twinkle lights... all over the trees. 

The restaurant had this really amazing way with decor. A privacy curtain was created using multiple ball-chain necklaces that the miliary uses on dog tags. Simple star ornaments hung from a bay window. Our table faced a fireplace filled with glass ball ornaments (how clever!) instead of a hot fire in summer. Sitting in that dim room with the perfect companion and just the right amount of laughter and talking at the tables surrounding us, I felt safe and happy and carefree.
I felt like I could breathe great big breaths of air and eat as slowly as I wanted. 
I felt like someone else was taking care of me, giving to me. 
It was unforgettable. 

Dan and I swapped tastes of our food. Fish tacos. A crab cake. Meatloaf. Duck in berry sauce. Amazing. I could taste the love in all the flavors. The restaurant is one of those places that takes good, simple dishes and then surprises you with a new infused flavor. The tomato aioli which accompanied my crab cake was totally unexpected. And, of course, delicious.

And for dessert? Mousse. 
Can I say that again? 
Mousse. 
Mousse, mousse, mousse.
Chocolate swirled with vanilla and a pool of raspberry sauce at the bottom. 

Caught up in the moment, I wanted to sell all my possessions and eat at this exact table with my husband every single night. I had been in a beautiful place with thoughtful food and my favorite person... and I won't forget it. Ever.

3 comments:

Team Alix said...

I'm so happy for you- it sounds like one of those moments that becomes a most favorite memory - one that you can call on any time and remember just how wonderful you felt in that moment. **Happy Anniversary**

Short Stop said...

Em,

It does my heart good to read this - knowing you had such an amazing evening, felt to loved and surrounded by delightful food. Every mother should know what that is like - and should have memories like this one to cherish amidst the chaos.

I love that Dan loves you like he does - and takes you out on special dates like this. Cheers to the homebrewer.

ennaneve said...

:) I'm glad my sister is happy. :) That sounds amazing, Em.