Saturday, September 19, 2009

Morgan Kay


Having two daughters in two very different stages of life is quite interesting. Baby Eve gets a fair bit of attention, so I have to be careful to watch my Morgan. She is changing just as quickly. For starters, my five year old daughter is a funny mix of girl + infant + woman.

There are times when she'll put on an outfit and my husband and I look at each other and send her right back up to her room for another go. She looks too, um, womanly.
She's five, folks.
Five.
I mean, she's nearly six, but that's no sixteen. My, how's she growing.

There are other times when she utilizes new words like, "for example" or some big word like "horrendous" and I have to keep my concentration on WHAT she is saying instead of smirking like the dorky proud parent that I am. "My child just used a multi-syllabic word correctly," I'm thinking. I look into her blue, strong eyes and realize that she wants to be thought of as, well, worth listening to. And she is. Believe me, she is.

But there are times when I realize that she is still very much a little girl. I recently started taking her to a girls club at our church. She was, by far, the youngest member. Other girls are in junior high. I smiled as my eldest daughter was invited to fill a plate with snacks at the end of the evening. Morgan had brought a friend to this evening's gathering. Between the two of them, the brownie tray was 10 brownies lighter. That's right: TEN. I smiled at how these little girls have not gotten to the "Am I fat" or "I'm watching my weight" thoughts that often infect girls. They love chocolate, by golly, and they're gonna fill their plates. (For those who are horrified at their gluttony, yes, yes, I did "help" them put some back.)

Tonight we were at a Chinese restaurant and a little boy (age: 8?) came up to Morgan and offered her a sticker. "Would you like this clown sticker?" he said. My Morgan hardly broke eye contact from her wonton soup as she said, "No thank you." Completely not flustered. As if she expected it. I marvel at this child. Totally unaware that this little boy probably liked her. (Oh, please... not this early.)

As I watch my little Morgan grow and become more independent, I release my hold. At times I release her reluctantly and at other times I think she can't grow quickly enough.

It's times when she shares her heart that I love this growing up process most of all. She'll giggle in an embarrassed way as she explains that she doesn't know anybody's name at school. I tell her that she'll learn; it's okay.

She'll ask me to put a ponytail in her hair. Then she asks me to put THREE ponytails in her hair. I gulp and wonder if I'll be brave enough to let her look the way she wants, even if it's bizarre.

When we're in the car, sometimes we'll break out into funny songs.
We'll laugh about how trees look naked in autumn. "Heehee... naked."
And when she's grumpy, we'll have contests to see who can be the grumpiest.
Naturally, we break out into laughter.

She's still at the age where she'll describe bodily functions without any shame. I'll spare the details, but know that she wants to educate us about the full and healthy functions of all ends of her body. 'Nuff said. Again: I love this child.

Morgan Kay: It's a joy to know you. Without you, I wouldn't see joy in the little things in life. I love how you walk into a room, decide you want to paint a picture, and immediately do so. I love how you put bright green socks on your feet even though they look ridiculously happy on your feet. And I love how you use 10 gallons of hairspray each morning to keep your cowlick from getting hair in your face.

You are my Morgan. And I am so glad you're in my life.

2 comments:

Team Alix said...

Haha! The ponytail thing reminds me of the book "Stephanie's Ponytail" by Robert Munsch. A good read- but even better is his book "The Paperbag Princess". Oh! And also, on his website, there are mp3 recordings of him storytelling those 2 books! Enjoy- some of my faves!

http://www.robertmunsch.com/

Jenni S. said...

I love this tribute to Morgan. I cannot wait to meet this girl someday!