Saturday, November 28, 2009

Renewed Vows

I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago about marriage.
About how sometimes man and wife just coexist in the same house, trying to make sense of the beauty and responsibilities of life.
Not much connection.

Fortunately, Dan and I have been able to have little snatches of time here and there to strengthen us... Little moments that strengthen our laughter and help us release our responsibilities, that help us see the real us.

Nearly a decade ago I pledged my love and faithfulness to Dan. Today the vows are a little more specific, but no less precious:

I, Emily, take you Dan, to be my wedded husband. To have and to hold, from this day forward,

For dirty laundry-bin-clothes-shopping or clean drawer-ed clothes,
For humdrum evenings or chaotic black Friday morning shopping,
For VISA bills or lottery wins,
For silent weeping in hospitals or joyfully wrestling a baby into clothes,
For minivan or sports car,
For beer gut or six pack abs,
For exhausting birthday parties as well as movies-in-bed,
For the appearance of white hairs on our heads or wrinkles on our faces,

to love and to cherish 'till death do us part.
And hereto I pledge you my faithfulness.

4 comments:

mercy said...

priceless

Anonymous said...

I love it. I'd like to steal your new vows! ;)

Jenny

LifeAtTheCircus.com said...

stumbled across your blog b/c google reader had it as a recommendation, I suppose based upon the other blogs in my reader.

well, google reader did not disappoint today!

You are delightful! I love your love for your husband and children and God and you write beautifully.

I am def coming back for more!!

Team Alix said...

Hi Emily-
I saw your comment on my pictures of Noah sleeping on Rob's shoulder and I thought I'd pop over to say hi! I was looking for your email address, but didn't see one. Anyway, I've been missing your fantastic commentaries, but I am sure the holidays are keeping you very busy! Hope all is well! Merry Christmas! -Laura