Friday, October 24, 2008

Priceless

Morgan came home from school complaining of being very cold. 
But her cheeks were flushed pink. And her eyes hurt.
She had a 103.2 fever. 

Called the pediatrician:

"Tylenol and Motrin alternately until the fever goes down.

Don't push food.

Push fluids. WHATEVER she wants to drink."

So I took her to Walgre.ens. 
New digital thermometer to replace the one that was dying at home.
Tylenol and Motrin.
Orange soda and grape juice (her choices).
A toy to lessen her grief. 
And a $48 bill. Ugh. But a worried mother didn't mind. Her fever was rising quickly.

On the way home, we picked up McD.onalds. Her idea. I was thrilled that she'd suggested eating.

We get home. 

She tells me she wants to save her McD.onalds Happy Meal for "lunch". 
Translation: "Me no hungry. Me eat tomorrow. Maybe."

I offer her some soda or juice.
"Can I just have water, Mom? I want to be 'helfy.'" 
Water? "Helfy?"
Of course, of course. That's the point. "Helfy."
Water. 
Which is free. 
Water.

Am I a Master.card ad or what? *sigh* I just love this kid.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Oh man, when the kids are sick I will do just about anything to make them feel better. I often lay with them and let them eat whenever and wherever they want. I am such a pushover when they're not feeling well.
Beth

Jenni S. said...

Hope Morgan is feeling better today!