Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dear Kathryn


Dear Kathryn,

Tomorrow is a very special day for you. 
Tomorrow you're scheduled to be induced. 
Tomorrow, you may be holding your baby.

I don't want this to be a note about me and my experience or advice about motherhood. I don't even want to add my cynical edge of humor or bombard you with parental clichés. It's too precious of a moment. Too holy. 

I just want to say congratulations for how far you've come and congratulations for where you will go. 

Congratulations for waiting on God and His timing and His provision with this baby. Congratulations on your IVF success. 
Congratulations on bettering your already-beautiful marriage through this season of life. 
Congratulations on choosing a name for your daughter that you can't wait to say.

Congratulations on the moments yet-to-be:
- On the first time you see her face and memorize it. 
- Seeing a new side of your husband as he transforms to father, and you, mother.
- Snuggling with your peach-fuzz of a baby. Saying her name.
- On a season of life dedicated to bodily changes, both in you and your infant.
- On being the immediate expert of this infant, just by being her loving mother.
- On believing in love-at-first-sight.

I wish your heart all the strength to absorb these beautiful moments and your mind all the wisdom it needs to raise your daughter.

Love, Emily

2 comments:

Jenni S. said...

Emily this is beautiful and will be such a treasure to your friend. You seem to be such a thoughtful person and I just love how you wrote this.

Kathryn Clark said...

Emily,

Thank you so much for this beautiful post. The tears flowed as I read it and related to all those experiences from the last almost two weeks now. I stand in awe of what God has done through us in bringing Sweet Paige to us. She is the joy of my heart. I'm SO thankful to be her Mommy. It's more LOVE than I could have imagined. The words to express it don't come close. But I will try for the rest of my life to tell Paige how much we LOVE her and how Great her God is.
Love,
Kathryn (AKA Paige's Mommy)