Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Egg Carton Children

Physically speaking, Angelina Jolie is probably the most beautiful woman in the world. She's a stunner. I'd love to look like her.

Lately, however, I've been conflicted about her new humanitarian efforts. I appreciate that she's using her celebrity to bring about world awareness of other countries. And I understand that celebrities get a lot of smack for everything they do. It's the cross they bear.

I think the reason I'm conflicted is because her recent adoptions of children seem more like a "collection" of children to me rather than a family. I saw an interview with her in which she said she wanted... how did she put it... "dozens of children"? What a strange way to refer to children...dozens of children...as if they are available in a 12-pack of eggs.

My sister in law is adopted from Korea. And I'm so glad that she is a part of my life. My in-laws adopted her prayerfully and did not see children as being individually picked, like a smorgasbord of world cuisine.

I applaud the fact that Jolie is adopting other races than herself. However, her recent efforts, as I mentioned earlier, see more of a "collector's item" approach rather than maternal.

From my own experience, motherhood is not an easy job. It's a lot of work. So the idea of romping around the world hand picking needy children to add to their family-ish structure doesn't sit well with me. Will these children be nurtured in an environment where there are consistent parents in their life? Will parents revolve in and out of their life if Angelina chooses a new flavor of the month beau? I also imagine that U.S. citizens who have been on the waiting list for a child to adopt will not appreciate the way that these celebrities get to accelerate their adoption process.

In the end, I would appreciate if Ms. Jolie would have to wait the full term for the adoption so the public could be sure that this was not a spontaneous "I think I'll adopt a child today" decision. And I'd also appreciate some acknowledgement on her part that motherhood is a life commitment and challenging (yet rewarding) work.

I don't think Ms. Jolie would like my advice however. So I'll be sure to send an egg carton to put her children in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First of all, if I was making a list of beautiful people in the world, Angelina wouldn't crack my top 50. Secondly - she's got nannies to do the actual parenting. And thirdly, I don't care about celebrities and what they do, particularly actors/actresses. They make-believe for a living and get paid way too much for it. Wait, didn't I just post this rant on Dan's blog?