Thursday, February 12, 2009

Conversations

Yesterday I took Morgan to ballet. I'm still getting the hang of this breastfeeding-child-just-in-time-to-go-out-the-door thing, so I was only able to feed Eve half. 

You gotta picture this: Me... in tailored pants but an old hoodie, smeared makeup, running through the rain with my little ballerina Morgan and a half fed baby. Hilarious. 

So I get hunkered down in the waiting area with the other parents and proceed to feed Eve with my special b**by hider thingamajig. 

Conversation #1:

Mom 1: "Oh, you're feeding her in public? That's a great little wrap you have there."

Mom 2: "I know. Can you believe some people feed their babies in public? I can't believe they do that."

Mom 1: "I know I never could. I was too embarrassed."

I'm trying to NOT concentrate on their conversation lest my milk supply shrivel out of embarrassment. I add my own two cents: "Yeah, I used to be embarrassed, too, but I found this great wrap which keeps me totally covered." 

Conversation #2:

To change the subject, I introduce myself and begin talking with one of the mothers' little girl.
 She tells me her name. And more: "Hi, my name is Chloe. My mom says bad words. I have to tell her not to."

Emily: "Oh. Well sometimes mommas are wrong. Good thing she has you." I give her mother a knowing look. Been there, lady.

But Chloe isn't finished: "Yeah, she says them a LOT. I have to tell her ALL the time to not say those words. But she still says them."

The mother is getting irritated. Chloe is about to expound on said words, but mother decides to have a "chat" with Chloe. 

Conversation 3:

Miss Ashley, the ballet teacher, tells us parents that we can join the class down the hall today. I'm getting the jist that it's expected. I'm comfortable breastfeeding in public, but it takes some work getting all the "gear" in place... Ugh. Just then Mom 1 and Mom 2 say, "C'mon, we'll help you." In a matter of seconds, they have gathered up my entire family's gear and are heading to the class. In a daze of gratitude, I continue breastfeeding infant and walk down the hall. Very weird experience, but nice to have help.

Being a mother sure has its funny moments.

1 comment:

Short Stop said...

Poor Chloe's Momma. Been there.

How scandalous. You were nursing in public. *gasp*

Motherhood definitely has those moments. Funny. Mind-boggling. Nutty.