Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween Fun


There are a contingent of people who really dislike Halloween. I suppose the glorification of spooky and bloody things is rather disconcerting. There is another spirit of Halloween, however, that is immensely positive. Allow me to share:

Last night was a brisk evening around the mid-50s. And when I stepped outside, costume-clad and happy for a special occasion, the evening did not disappoint. A few trick-or-treaters trickled in at the posted 4pm hour, little ones mostly. Very cute. Between the visits of each giddy child, I enjoyed the music of geese above my head and marveled at the way they know how to fly in formation. Amazing.

My own daughter, dressed like a kitten but as ravenous for candy as a lion, partook in high pitched screams to the neighborhood: "I'M SO EXCITED! I'M SO EXCITED!" she shouted to everyone who would listen. The uninhibited excitement is something adults rarely disclose to other adults. I laughed at her pre-sugar enthusiasm.

When Dan arrived home, Morgan promptly attacked him with information about Halloween. He gobbled down his dinner and made haste for the neighborhood beg. They claim they had fun.

I really enjoyed seeing the families of the neighborhood walking leisurely around the block, laughing and taking photos of their silly, cute and scary children. I anticipate that I won't see them much for the next 6 chilly months, so I welcomed the opportunity.

By 6:30, we had to turn off the front lights. We had given candy to 152 trick or treaters. I counted. (See list above.) We were plum out of candy. We all came inside with pink cheeks and full hearts. What a great night.

5 comments:

Sheryl said...

Seriously!? You need to write a book!!! :) Fantastic writer and great story!

Sheryl said...

Sorry - Bear is Sheryl...I don't know why it comes up as that??

Sittintall said...

Glad you had so much fun...and Sheryl is right you are a fantastic writer. I can't believe you had 152 trick or treaters. You must have a very popular neighborhood!

Emily Dykstra said...

Thanks, ladies, for your compliments. I can write small pieces, but writing a book is like trying to string together 100,000 blog posts. I think I'll stick to these for now. :)

Short Stop said...

WOW...that's a lot of trick or treaters!

And, I agree with everyone else...you are one incredible writer! :)