Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Fertility Journey

Today we went to the fertility doc. 

Our doc is located a bit away. In heavy traffic, it takes 2 hours to get there. Normally it takes about 1-1/2 hours. 

At first I found the drive irritating, but now it's old hat and-- bonus-- Dan and I get to talk. Long, uninterrupted talks. We talk about the summer, about his work and about family. We talk about baby names. We talk about Morgan and we laugh a great deal. Actually, I laugh a great deal. Dan makes me laugh and laugh, even when I feel so sick.

I love going with Dan. I get an ultrasound every week. In the past weeks there was an intern at the clinic who would come to "observe". His name was "Dr. Sours". We LOVED to tease him because he is so quiet and professional.  And, of course, his name was just beckoning us to tease him. In a nice way. 

I offered Dr. Sours graham crackers as I noisily crunched away on the table. 
He declined.

I asked him if he had ever had a baby. 
He said no.

I clarified, "No, I mean... have you personally had a baby...You know... now with science allowing men to "supposedly" be pregnant."
He modestly answered no.

I had no intent of letting Dr. Sours observe me. I wanted him to entertain me.

Dr. Sours did not come back this week. *sigh* There went our fun.

Well, not totally. Dan manages to keep me in stitches. At one of our last appointments, we felt that our wait was too lengthy. We saw the cued up ultrasound machine and the, er, "thingy" they use to give ultrasounds. We were tempted. Dan claimed he had used an egg beater before and that it couldn't be much different than that. The staff must have heard us b/c they marched in pretty quickly after that. 

Today we not only saw the Petri Dish Love Child silhouette, but we heard a heartbeat. 152 beats per minute. That was very cool. 

Life is still very much a day-by-day adventure. I'm still not too keen on making plans for the baby in our future... it feels too premature and "not real". I've had well-meaning people offer me baby equipment, but I just can't do it yet. I haven't wrapped my brain around the fact that the IVF shots I took for those months and teasingly called "baby juice" actually produced something. It's too mind-boggling. 

So for now, I will enjoy just this day. 
The laughs I had with Dan. 
The music I heard in the ultrasound room. 
And the memories of dear Dr. Sours.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow em, that's awesome! i can't believe you heard the heartbeat! how was it?! i would freak out!!

next time you embark on your pilgrimmage to the fertility doc, bring some sour patch kids for dr. sours. 1) they're delish 2) he deals with fertility (kids) and his last name is sours (the jokes practically write themselves!)

then again... if he is as lame as you claim... he's probably a strict vegan and has no interest in the most amazing candy known to man.

Sittintall said...

You two are a riot. That man probably didn't know how to handle himself. Poor Mr. Sours. I'm sure you do have a lot of laughs together (good quality time).

I think it's good to take it day by day. Afterall, isn't that how we have to take life sometimes? Day by day.

Kris said...

A heartbeat. I loved that sound. I would always ask them to let me listen a bit longer. It was even more fun when the kids were with me. There eyes got real big and curious.

Short Stop said...

I would have done everything in my power to make Dr. Sours laugh. What a name.

Just hearing of that little heartbeat made my heart skip one!

Jenni S. said...

I have to say that your love for your husband comes out so clearly in this post. While it was about a trip to the fertility clinic, it was so easy to "hear" Oh, how I love being with this man.

Relieved to hear that things are going well with the, um, petrie dish love child. I'll be praying that God holds all of you close.