Friday, May 2, 2008

"Those" People



Call me a people pleaser: I'm horrified at a recent realization in my neighborhood: We are those people.

You know: the people whose lawn has dandelions.

The only people on the block whose yard has dandelions.

And, I imagine, the house who neighbors will grimace at when their non-dandelion yards occasionally sprout one of our dandelion offspring... the stray dog kind of yard.

Everyone else's lawn is sprayed. I even have a few more enviro-conscious neighbors who hand pick each dandelion from their yard.

In our last neighborhood, each lawn had their share of dandelions. In fact, I'm loathe to admit that our lawn turned more a shade of yellow than that desirable grass green in each summer.

In our last neighborhood we occasionally made a valiant effort to keep the dandelions from getting too bad.

But here, in my new Homeowners Association neighborhood, lawns are not "cut". They're primped. They're even coddled.

Lest I sound judgmental, I want my lawn to be primped and coddled. Just not by me. And I'm a little fearful of the chemicals some spray on the lawns.

So while Dan and I remain indecisive about this dandelion issue, maybe we'll stay inside until fall.

Or maybe-- and this is a stretch-- maybe we'll convince people that dandelions are okay.

5 comments:

andrea said...

Dandelions mean that Morgan has some safe flowers to bring you; rather than picking the ones you might want to keep in the garden!

trevsmom said...

Emily,

I think you should frame the picture of the dandelion and add it to your shelves. It has the vibrant yellow accent you have on the shelves already. :-) just a thought

Janice said...

I like your idea of convincing the neighbors that they are a beautiful spot of yellow in a sea of green. However, I also remember "those people" when I was younger so my organic suggestions- be sure to at least remove the heads before they become puff balls and spread further. You could make it a game for Morgan. Or try vinegar (did i spell that right?) a natural weed killer. Salt works too, but its more difficult to get the right consistancy. Good luck!

Sittintall said...

We're one of "those" people too. Of course, we really don't have neighbors who care, but I know what you mean. I say go door to door offering them bouquets of dandelions, saying you feel bad for them that they can't view them in their yard!

Short Stop said...

We are "those" people.

Have been...probably always will be. *sigh*


LOVE tm's idea above. Frame that photo!