Sunday, December 14, 2008

Weeping May Remain for a Night, but Joy...

I mentioned in an earlier post that my moods change a lot lately. But one thing that hasn't changed much is that I'm having a hard time wanting to read my Bible. I'm really unsure as to why this is, but the other day when I did actually take the opportunity to read, something bizarre happened. 

I was reading in Luke 1 about the coming births of Jesus and John. An angel is telling Mary about her conception and about her relative Elizabeth's conception as well. He explains to Mary: "For this is now the sixth month  for her who was called barren." I smiled at that part.

But then I read the next line: "For with God nothing will be impossible." (Luke 1:37)

I could never have predicted what happened next. With no warning whatsoever, I wept big, fat donkey tears. I didn't so much cry as guffaw. And the tears came uncontrollably. Try as I might, I couldn't stop the flow for many minutes. 

This is exactly how I cried:



In retrospect, the crying was pretty funny. 

It was also touching. Humbling. Prayerful. 

All these years I knew that mourning could bruise a heart, but I never knew that joy could pierce even more deeply.

The baby kicked vigorously inside me as I wept. I realized in that one moment that my lack of words was probably the deepest worship experience and most intimate conversation I have ever had with God. I'll never forget it. 

"For with God nothing will be impossible."

3 comments:

Mercy said...

What an awesome God we serve!

Anonymous said...

Glad you shared, Emily. I watched Sense and Sensibility today thanks to you. :)
Lauren

Jenni S. said...

OK, first, LOVE that part of Sense and Sensibility and it gives such a good picture of true weeping from joy and relief.

Second, thank you for sharing your heart like this. I know a little bit from where the tears come and it reminds me, too, that He does wonderfully amazing things out of the ashes of some horrible things. From death to life...from death to life.