Monday, December 29, 2008

What's in a Name?

I mentioned to several of my friends before the birth of our second born that Dan and I felt that her name was chosen for us more than us choosing the name. May I share?

On one of our trips to Evanston to see the fertility doctor, Dan and I thought it would be clever to name our child Evan or Eve, since s/he was conceived there. The idea wasn't given much more thought after that. 

Later, my husband made a profound observation. He noted that our daughter Morgan's name in German means "morning" (different spelling). And the name "Eve" is a shortened version of "evening". "See, Em? We had a beautiful morning, a rough day of infertility and then evening came." 

When we found out that we were indeed having a girl, I looked up the meaning of "Eve". It meant "life". It also was a slap in the face of infertility because "Eve" is the first mother in the Bible. 

When we discovered that our little one was due around Christmas, we laughed at the thought of calling her Christmas Eve. Totally unintentional.

Finally, when my sister announced the birth of her daughter this fall, it was eerily providential. Her daughter's name is Giselle Eve. My sister and I have undergone infertility together. It was only fitting that we should like the same name.

Eve's middle name, Lorraine, is my middle name and also that of my mother and grandmother. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this post, Emily. (: And her name is beautiful!

Jenny

Sittintall said...

I love that you put so much thought into her name. I think it is so beautiful when a name is more than just liked, but has sentimental meaning or a certain significance.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation. After Eve was born, I looked up the meaning and saw "life" and thought it a very appropriate name because of that. But I see it has a much deeper meaning. How very cool!

Shannon said...

Ah, that is a great name! Good thing she wasn't conceived in Chicago like Madeline. ;)

Jenni S. said...

I think her name is beautiful and the meaning behind it moreso. I'm quite partial to Lorraine, by the way - it's Anna's middle name. :)