Monday, January 15, 2007

I Love Insurance

I think one of the reasons I haven't been able to fully celebrate the joy of life growing inside me lately is because I spend nearly every morning either at a doctor's office or on the phone with the insurance company. I know insurance companies get a bad rap and I am here to confirm that they fully deserve it. After I get off the phone with them, I either need to go for a run on the treadmill to run off the steam or have a glass of vino. Rats on the vino.

Example One- Paid Prescription?
The doc has me on some medication to help me keep this pregnancy. It's called progesterone. I called my insurance to verify the coverage before I purchased it. (Last pregnancy we had some medication that cost $1000 and we were grateful to have insurance lower that to a $20 copay.)

I was on the phone for three hours with insurance. Turns out my prescription costs $26 without insurance. With insurance? I pay $25. That's right. My three hour phone call determined that I could save an entire dollar. Grrrrr.

Example Two- In Network?
Morgan needs to have ear tube surgery. There's an excellent ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) doc named Dr. Chow who is in our network and get high praise. Last week, he saw Morgan and determined that ear tube surgery was the way to go. I get home to ask insurance about the coverage for the surgery. Turns out that because Dr. Chow recently moved his office (not far, mind you.. a few miles) they weren't sure they would cover THAT location. They would cover his other locations, however.

After a few phone calls on the part of my CSR, "Kristie", I was allowed to continue to see Dr. Chow and be covered. I felt like a circus poodle jumping through hoops. Next thing you know, a secret handshake will be required to see certain doctors.

Laughing... This is a DIRECT result of sin in the world. Oy vey.

No comments: