Monday, January 22, 2007

Onions

One of the first symptoms of pregnancy for me is very odd and, quite honestly, annoying:
Dan smells like onions to me.

Now if you know Dan, he is a hygiene freak. He is the freshest smelling man I know. So it goes without saying that my smellers are doing me wrong. In fact, today when I walked outside to the car, the "fresh air" also smelled like onions to me.

Taste is also affected. Yesterday in the chocolate cake, I tasted undertones of cherry. I highly doubt Duncan Hines would sneak cherry flavor in their Moist Deluxe Chocolate Cake. Call it a hunch. Ghiaradelli, maybe. But Duncan Hines? No.

For now, I bow to my fickle taste buds' whims. Friday is was sour cream. Saturday it was Potbelly's turkey sub with cheese. Sunday I had to have another Potbelly's sub followed by ice cream. And today? A strange combination of cottage cheese and cucumber sandwiches with butter. Don't forget the butter. All of these cravings have two things in common: some form of dairy and fat.

This pregnancy is very different from the first one. I didn't know what cravings were with my pregnancy with Morgan. With this pregnancy, if I don't satisfy the 'buds, I can't stop thinking about the food. The cravings are insatiable unless I give them EXACTLY what they cry for.

*sigh* The realization is hitting that I am about to be pounding on the weight. I'm not too happy about this, but for now, I have two choices: satisfy the all-powerful taste buds or bow to the porcelein god.

No comments: