Monday, March 3, 2008

Happy Happy Parenting

If there's anything I've learned in parenting, it's this:
1. I don't think I've ever been more tired.
2. I don't think I've ever been more hungry.
3. I don't think I've ever been more happy.

It's true. Tired. Hungry. Happy. The three little dwarves of parenting.

Generally speaking, I can't say that I learn parental skills smoothly. Lots of trial and error goes on around here, but I imagine it does in every home. However, I am learning a few things that make my relationship with my daughter a little better. May I share?

1. Grocery Day
I'm tired from a morning of talking to "Distracto Girl" while I try to price shop produce. I get home in time for lunch and nap time. And, for some reason, I think I should have enough energy to clean the house, do laundry and make a from-scratch supper.

My new rule for self is: On grocery day, dinner must either be previously frozen, bought or made. *breathe* Ain't that wonderful?

2. Laundry Day
If I'm feeling really overwhelmed with laundry, I'll wash it all on one day and save the folding for the next day. Sometimes I leave the laundry in the living room. Last week I let it mound on the guest room bed. But then, because I didn't technically see it everyday, I didn't feel like folding it. I'm not sure where I'll put it, but I don't feel that it's necessary to do EVERYTHING in one day. I'm pacing.

3. House Cleaning
Okay, I totally tricked you. I have no hints for house cleaning. I got as far as "grocery shopping" and "laundry", but when it comes to house cleaning, I'm either REALLY on it, or REALLY not. Advice for keeping it simple would be great.
I'm tagging you, Kris. Uh-huh. You got the motts on this one.

Lastly, I'd just to encourage all parents out there to be good to yourself. Go for a walk. Read for 15 minutes, even if dinner is burning. Buy a magazine. Heck, blog.

But don't burn yourself out. That's your kiddos job. :)

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I like your grocery idea- no cooking on that day. For laundry, I've decided that i can no longer do all the laundry in one day. So I'm trying to do one load a day. Take out yesterday's laundry, fold it. Switch the wet to the dryer and new load in the washer. Done. It's kind of working.