Thursday, March 6, 2008

Motherhood Musings

Dan was out of town earlier this week. Whenever he is gone, I let Morgan sleep with me.

I tell her we're having a "sleepover".

Okay, I'm scared.

But it sure is fun to hang out with a 4 year old. She's at the age where she doesn't squirm too much at night. I noticed that sometimes she giggles in her dreams. It's really cute.

And sometimes when we're in bed she asks me, "What's that smell?" just before I get the whiff of vapors she has offered us. She's a girl, but she's not yet a lady. She makes me laugh.

Last night I went to Costco with her right before bedtime. To avoid hitting a car, I had to run over a bit of a snowbank. The snowbanks around here are somewhat in the road b/c of all the snow. Morgan thought we hit the sidewalk. All the way to Costco I heard a song that went something like this: "You shouldn't drive on the sidewalk with your car. You should drive on the road. And if you're on the sidewalk WATCH OUT because someone may ride on the sidewalk..." The tune was a very gentle one, almost a lullaby, which mismatched with the lyrics. Hilarious.

The whole time we were in Costco she talked-like-this-without-stopping-because-she-had-so-much-to-say. She barely took a breath with her brain rants. At first, being tired, I was annoyed. I wanted to know where her "off" button was, or at least her "volume" one. But then, I stopped, took in a breath, remembered that I would very much like another Morgan, and enjoyed her goofy verbosity.

This morning I will help her get dressed. First she'll request that I tell her to jump X amount of times:
"Okay, Morgan, jump three times before we put your shirt on"
followed by
"Now, Morgan- spin 2 times before we put your pants on."
She'll jump around unabashedly in her little tshirt and princess underpants before diving into her clothing for the day. And if I have my head screwed on straight, I'll laugh with her and forget that getting dressed in 5 minutes is not the point.

It's all about the journey.

5 comments:

Short Stop said...

HILARIOUS. That song she sang cracks me up!

Anonymous said...

I miss my precious little niece!

Kris said...

And what a journey it is! I'm glad you're able to have fun along the way!
K

Mercy said...

what an amazing woman you are emily dykstra.

Lauren said...

O.k, have you ever thought about writing a book or a column?