Monday, March 3, 2008

Six. One. Five.

Our daughter Morgan loves to get up at the same time as us. We try to remain quiet in the morning, but inevitably she hears us talking and we hear her knock loudly at the door and proclaim obviously, "It's morning time! It's morning time!"

We love being greeted by her, but Dan and I get virtually *zero* time alone and found this morning routine to be getting a bit awkward. Plus, I need time to get up BEFORE her so I can get my game on.

Cue joyful crescendoing music: We installed a digital clock in her room. It's one of the best parenting moves we've ever made. We're pretty sure that others have done it as well, but we're pretending like we are geniuses and came up with it on our own.

We told Morgan that she could get up at 6:15. We explained it this way: "When the clock says 'Six. One. Five.' then you can get up."

The first morning went spectacularly well. I heard her get up in her room, pause and actually read the numbers on the clock.
I heard when she read "Six. One. Three."
I heard when she read "Six. One. Four."

And then I waited as the clock turned. She dashed out of her room, banged on the door and pronounced the time: "It's SIXONEFIVE!! It's SIXONEFIVE!"

The plan is working pretty well. It forces me to get up before six.one.five and get a head start on the day. It gives me time to greet my daughter back rather than groan at how disorganized I feel.

It's a little growth. Not much. But it's a nickel's worth of sanity than I treasure greatly.

Now if only I could work to get her to sleep until Nine. Zero. Zero. on the weekends. :)

7 comments:

Sittintall said...

Wow, that is super early. I guess I shouldn't complain when my girls wake up at seven.four.five. Yes, it certainly does help me to get somewhat organized before they awake. But, 6:15? What can you get done?

Anonymous said...

She's pretty lucky. My rule used to be seven zero zero!! Such a long wait to get out of bed...what was I thinking? My sister in law set the clock a half hour back and said her son couldn't get up until the clock said 7:00, when in reality it was 7:30. Gave mom an extra half hour and he didn't know the difference!

Unknown said...

Yeah, but what happens when you're trying to put her to bed, and she notices the clock says "7:30" when you already told her it's 8:00?

I only bring that up because Morgan would catch on to that and call us on it. ;)

Sheryl said...

So cute. But yeah, you have to be careful of other digital clocks! Kids catch on rather quickly! :)

Kris said...

Good plan! You go girl! I love a plan!
K

trevsmom said...

Great idea! I am impressed that your day begins at six one five. We sometimes need help making it out the door by eight three zero. We have used this for Trev's nap times, but with a regular clock. It is quite hilarious because one time he kept calling us about every minute. He was reading the second hand. :-)

Anonymous said...

you totally should set her clock back. :)