Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Baby

Last night Morgan wanted to see video of herself as a baby. She has an infatuation with acting like a baby lately. In fact, as she was watching the video she made mention of wanting to be a baby again. I'm unsure why.

Watching the video of her as a newborn causes floods of memories of how I felt as a woman (fat, worried, tired, happy). It was neat watching video of her because, quite honestly, it's a blur to me. I was too tired to remember. As a new mother, my neck tightened whenever Morgan cried. I didn't know how to make her happy. But watching this memory appear on the screen, I don't feel the tightness anymore.

I had another surprise as I watched this video. Though I'd like another child one day, I didn't ache for one while I watched these baby memories flicker on the screen. I felt a peace. And joy too--I laughed at how round faced my daughter became as she reached the 6 month mark. She was almost completely spherical. I had a sharp chin even as a newborn, so these were definitely Dykstra traits. What a cutie.

Speaking of babies, I have yet to meet my 5 month old nephew, Chet. His family lives in Charlotte. This weekend Dan and I are flying there to see my sister and her family. Her first son will be 3 in June. His name is Britt. The last time I saw him was last May. I understand that he has changed a lot. I talked to him on the phone a while ago. He doesn't talk to me much, but if you get him to talk construction equipment, he'll excitedly talk about backhoes and cranes and trucks. He's so boy.

His brother Chet is a very happy baby, I'm told. I'll try not to smother him with kisses.

No comments: