Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Children- Nature's Little Humility Pill

It's no surprise to anyone with children that these squirts will quickly find your Achilles heal, work it to the fullest and don a pouty lip as if they didn't know. They're smarter than we think.

Recently I was in a public setting (can't for the LIFE of me remember where) when Morgan said she had to use the bathroom. My potty-training attenae responded to the call and I swooped up my daughter to go to the restroom. Somewhere between the time I picked her up and the time I took 5 steps, Morgan determined that she no longer had to go and wanted to resume playing with the toys. I told her "No, Morgan, you should at least try to go potty." I picked up my rather disagreeable daugther who is no match for my motherly strength when she suddenly burst out loudly: "Please, Mommy! Please don't take down my pants!" Now I don't know about you, but I found this statement downright embarassing. First of all, I have NEVER heard her say that, even in the privacy of our own home. And then, using her new command of the English language, my daughter proved that the tongue is indeed mightier than the sword. I countered something lame like, "Well, if you don't have to go..." but inside I was afeared. Truly afeared.

Where had my 3-1/2 year old offspring learned to embarrass her mother so? Surely not on Sesame Street. Even SpongeBob wouldn't go that far. *sigh* No matter, my pride was altered the moment she became mine. Surly little girl, I love you.

No comments: