Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Goodbye Dinner

I had dinner last night with Erin (Jenkins) Baker and Andrea Rip. Boy was it good to catch up. I used to have weekly dinners with these ladies when Dan was in school. I was lonely and bribed them with food to come over to my house in exchange for good adult conversation. I have very fond memories of those days.

We spent a good deal of time talking about guys, esp. trying to convince Andrea that the guys who claimed to be "just friends" around her really wanted something more. And she had a LOT of guy friends. At one point, we asked her to write up a list so we could use it as a resource during conversation to freshen our memory. As a joke, she actually did write down their names and a little summary about each. I also remember the time that Erin first talked about Ryan. Erin had hung out with a lot of other guys, but when she spoke about Ryan, she had this giddy peace. Both Andrea and I had a feeling he was the "one".

When I met with these ladies last night, however, it was a little bittersweet. Andrea is moving to Seattle. Erin is moving to Kentucky. And we are moving to Aurora, which some people kid is like Kentucky. Touché. In any case, we haven't seen each other in months and it's hard to summarize months of life. Erin and Ryan have been in school and sold their house. Andrea took an amazing trip to Antarctica and chased that with trips to Austrailia, New Zealand and a bunch of other place I didn't even know existed. And while I'm pretty open about what happened to us these past months (our miscarriages), I didn't want to resurrect the full details of each one laboriously. It's like a class reunion... (which I have never been to, but I imagine it's like this)... in which you come up to a former classmate and say at your ten year, "So, what have you been up to?" The brain races to summarizes YEARS of life in mere minutes.

But once we got started talking, it was like old times again. I'm so grateful for the wonderful women God has brought into my life. My prayer for these two ladies is that God would give them the desires of their hearts and the contentment to wait for it in the meantime.

No comments: