Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Mommy's Little Helper

Why is it that I have to remind Morgan every time she uses the bathroom to "flush the toilet and wash your pee-pee hands"? And why is it that the ONE time I didn't want her to flush the toilet that she did?

Without getting too graphic, yesterday Morgan produced a doozie. I left the underwear on the side of the toilet while I went to find a bucket. There was a flush and an ear piercing shreak followed by wails. I immediately knew the entire story. The little underpants didn't have a chance with the toilet's mighty current. My daughter garbled cry was hard to understand but I got the gist: "Make them come back! I flushed my pull-ups in the potty!"

Like most selfish parents, my main concern was not with the distress of my daughter, but the plumber's inevitable bill. My gut wrenched. Fortunately, the toilet seemed to work really well (and still does) and still will, God willing. It was only after considering the health of the potty that I calmed down my wailing daughter. I gave her a nice bath, a small chide and a big smile. "It's okay, Morgan. We'll get you new underpants."

No comments: