Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Party

Have you ever had one of those moments where, while you were experiencing the moment, you were acutely aware that you would never forget this experience, this slice of time?

I had one today.

I dropped Morgan off at preschool, like I usually do on Tuesday mornings. The teachers invited me to come a half hour earlier when picking her up in order to enjoy a Christmas party with the kids. I told them I'd see how the day went. All parents were invited for Christmas songs and cookies. Awwww. That's nice, I thought. I hope those parents have fun.

But something didn't sit well with me after I dissed their offer.

I flashed back to every choir production, school play and art show that I had ever participated in as a child and remembered that the ONLY thing that mattered to me was that Mom and Dad were there. Recall any elementary school play, and you'll remember a stage full of kids who fumble through their half-memorized lines but somehow manage to scan a crowded auditorium and see their Mom and Dad. Their parents could be costume clad and sitting in the back row of stadium seating, but their children would sniff them out like a heat seeking missile and yell, "Hi, Mom! Hi, Dad!". Kids know.

So I went. I shed my layered "stay at home mommy t-shirts" for a pretty glittery top. When I arrived, I scanned the crowd of already hyper children for my blond headed daugther. There she was. I saw her scan the crowd until she saw me. A shy smile came over her face followed by much jumping. So this is why people become parents.

The audience then watched their offspring perform numerous carols and some newer songs which I had never heard of. The later songs involved a lot of jumping, twirling and yelling which may be why one doesn't hear them on, say, any adult radio program. Each child locked eyes with his or her parents while they sang. It wasn't hard to see who belonged to who. Smaller children bellowed "Hi, Mommy!" while squirming in their teacher's laps.

After the production, we were invited to cookies, which was a good idea seeing as how the children must have spent half their blood sugar in screaming at their adoring fans. Morgan and I obliged.

At the end of the party, a mere thirty minutes, I clad my daughter in her winter regalia and we were off. I winced, thinking that I had entertained the thought of not coming. It was worth every minute.

4 comments:

Kris said...

We just got back from Josh's program. His class part was only a song and a poem, but it was still time well spent when you see them peek over the little heads in front of them to see if you are watching. Happy memories for sure.
K

Sittintall said...

Good for you for going! I'm glad that you had an enjoyable time and that you could experience the joy in Morgan for that 1/2 hour. It's those little smiles that warm our hearts.

Kyra had a Christmas Party at her dance class last night (where parents were invited, but I couldn't go because I had another party. Wouldn't you believe it, the hubs went and stuck it out with all the other MOMS!

Janice said...

I am going to forward this blog to two friends who are have 3 week old babies and haven't slept, showered, or ate in days so they can see one of the simple, wonderful times as a mom that are in store for them. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome for two reasons:

1) You went and made some flippin' sweet memories.

2) You blogged about it which made me laugh really hard ("Awwww. That's nice, I thought. I hope those parents have fun." HAHAHAH)

Love ya!