Saturday, December 1, 2007

Ode to an Old Abode

I visit a handful of blogs each day. And today I was excited to read the blog of a lady named GiBee. You see, GiBee moved from a charming cottage style house a while ago into a more traditional/contemporary house. And she can't seem to stop pining for her old abode.Man, can I relate!

Dan and I put 5 years of sweat equity into our bungalow. (Laughing)... Little did we know that our house was a fixer upper until we rolled up our sleeves. In retrospect, we could have saved money if we would have just moved directly to the neighborhood we currently live in, but MAN was that fun... owning a bungalow and bringing it back to life.



That house had SO many problems. We resanded the floors, replastered walls, built bungalow style columns in the living room, replaced almost all floors and finished the basement. There was a lot of less glam stuff too, like plumbing, electrical, new windows and doors... but it was so satisfying to see the result.

I know we made the right move. Don't get me wrong. I guess there's just something romantic about a drafty old house.

So, GiBee... thanks for sharing. This dame can relate. And with a little work, I'm sure we can make our new homes feel like home as well.

2 comments:

andrea said...

Wow, the grass is really green in front of that old bungalow! We don't have grass here. I don't know what that says about this place, but I like it enough to call it home for right now!

GiBee said...

Thank you for this post! Our home was almost exactly like this one!!! I have searched for a digital picture of it, but couldn't find one. I can totally relate with everything you've said in your post. We also put a lot of work into the house, including the not so "glam" stuff... the electrical wiring was so messed up! We also had dual zone thermostats, which were wired wrong ... the downstairs thermostat controlled the upstairs, and vice-versa!

It's nice to know that someone out there can relate!!!