Friday, February 29, 2008

Musings

It's after noon on Friday.

I have just finished reading Morgan a "My Little Pony" book in which I must have said the name "Twinkle Twirl" 20 times. It's the kind of name that I would have loved as a little girl. That, and anything glittery, rainbowy and overly dramatic. My Little Pony fits all those categories. Laughing... I always feel a bit saccharine-y after reading it. Every page has rainbows, pink and purple. The moral of the stories end up with "best friends forever". Which, as we all know, is how every story should end. Note to self: Do NOT let her read Where the Red Fern Grows.

Earlier today I forgot that school was closed. We took a tour de Naperville and headed home upon that realization. My morning allocated to freelance work became the morning of "quick-what-to-do-with-Morgan". She was particularly "on" today which meant that quietly playing around the house was pretty much a pipedream.

Fortunately my friend Beth was nearby so we went sledding with our kiddos. It was 36 degrees and relatively warm for a sledding day. I was a little concerned when we pulled up to the park for sledding: a sign greeted us with tidings of "sledding that could lead up to death". We laughed it off uncomfortably.

My strong willed child is very comfortable with being home or doing very little. Too much stimulation and she goes bonkers. We were invited to go to the Dupage Children's Museum, but with school being out today, I imagined every Tom, Dick and Harry running around there. I didn't want to fork out the dough for a day of Morgan embracing the fetal position in a public place. No, the sledding was much more appropriate for her today.

The past week has been relatively good for our relationship. Raising a strong willed child involves some strategy and flexibility. I'd be lying if I thought my job was harder than those with many children, but for the time being God has granted me only one child. And since He has only given me one, I suppose He thought best for us to wrestle our wills a bit to bide the time. That's what I keep telling myself.

But lately we've been giggling, reading stories and joking together. Confrontations that normally end up with several time-outs are petering out into joking and rolling eyes. It's a nice change of pace. I'm thankful for every moment.

Well, I assume that my "Twinkle Twirl" daughter is safely sleeping now. I'd best get back to my freelance work.

5 comments:

Sittintall said...

Glad that you are enjoying your time right now. We had a period of time like that with Kyra (of course she's not strong willed), and for the most part it's going so much better too. I am not, however looking forward to that time period with Katie (I have a feeling it will be more of a challenge, and a longer one at that).

Sittintall said...

PS Kyra is very much into "My Little Pony" and "Strawberry Shortcake". I never thought I would be so tired of the glittery, happiness, goop. When she found a Barbietopia type movie at the rental store, I drew the line. You can only handle so much fairy princess stuff.

Unknown said...

Rejoice! Rejoice! A week of almost no tantrums!! Can I get a collective sigh?!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.... :)

Kris said...

Sounds like all your hard work is paying off! Good for you! And good for Morgan!
K

Short Stop said...

You're such a good Mom, Em. You think through everything that you do with Morgan, and you focus to intently on how best to parent her.

I admire you.

Three cheers for strong-willed children...your and mine!