Sunday, November 30, 2008

Deliberate-mass

I don't know about the mass of my friends and how they feel about Christmas, but for me, I have been struggling with how to celebrate this beautiful season for years. 

This year, I am pleased to say, something beautiful is shedding light on this season of advent.

My past Christmases with Dan have not been horrible. But the constant traveling, bustling about to get gifts and mail them, cooking, etc. have not endeared me to the season. Each year I commit to simplifying and embracing clichés of "remembering the Reason for the Season" and each year I feel a bit short on the sentiment. But this year, some good things are happening:

Factor One: Didn't Travel
This year, the spirit was willing to travel to family but the body was weak. Turned out to be a blessing. We just finished enjoying a week of Thanksgiving and Christmas with Dan's family here at the Dykstra abode and it went really well. My nausea was kept in check and I was really able to enjoy good conversation, laughter and card-playing with my in-laws. Great time.

Factor Two: Shared Responsibilities and Simplifying
I'm learning to let others contribute to the merriment. My sister-in-law made some wonderful gingerbread cookies for us this weekend. I had originally planned to bake them ahead of time and have a decorating party with the family, but I was too tuckered out. It was great to see Jill and Dan whip up the gingerbread dough together and make some homemade family memories. 

Factor Three: Deliberate Purchases
This one is a toughy. I haven't totally aced it, but I'm learning to slow down and think through my purchases. Dan and I, for instance, were planning on getting Morgan a dollhouse this year. Morgan would be thrilled with a place for her 10" sized dolls. 

But then we learned that one grandmother is buying her an Ameri*can Girl doll and the other grandmother had been making clothes to fit such a doll. We decided to keep with the theme and purchased a bed and wardrobe that would fit this doll. Additionally, we don't have a whole lot of room for the dollhouse at this time and felt that with the acquisition of a new sister, encouraging her to nurture a doll about the size of a baby would be a good idea. 

The point is: I tried to think of how much use she would get out of it and where I would put it in my house. Maybe she'll get that dollhouse in the future, but for now, this is plenty for her big presents. 

We also got her a few games, videos and toys that help with her creativity. I can't wait to give her her spirograph (did you grow up with those, too?) And we'll probably get her an indoor trampoline to help with the long Chicago winter. 

She got a set of pink legos this weekend and has been playing with them for 2 days.  Score! I hope the other toys foster such meaningful play as well.

Factor Four: Traditions Go On a Diet
Our families have lots of Christmas traditions, but I'm trying to only do the things which will bring the most joy and beauty to our home. I'm a big cookie buff, so I plan on making as many cookies as my energy level will allow. It brings me joy and my friends and family benefit, too. 

But decorations get pruned: This year we put up a Christmas tree and some mantle decor, but I stopped there. No door wreath or other decor. It's enough and doesn't stress me out when I think of taking it down in a month. 

Factor Five: Preparing Room
Okay, this one is a bit punny, but I've been preparing the baby's room and it just happens to coincide with the advent season. I keep thinking of the lyrics in Joy to the world: "...Let every heart prepare Him room..." 

Preparing the baby's room means thinking about her needs but also thinking about the environment I want to raise her in. It means disallowing clutter or excess (the room is too small otherwise); it means storing larger clothes as I anticipate her growth. It also means borrowing baby equipment from friends (Thanks, Kris!) and watching the room fill with homemade and store-bought gifts from loving friends and family. 

This holiday season, I believe God is calling my family to true joy. The similarities between preparing the baby's room and preparing my heart are remarkable. I want enough material celebration (cookies, gifts, music) to show that this is a time of joy. I want enough lavishness to mark the occasion as sacred and special, but if I go overboard, there's not any room for the Baby. It's a balancing act. 

So there you have it, friends. Perhaps this is a bit more on the "soap-boxy" side blog posts, but I'm truly excited about the difference in this year's Christmas season over other years. I hope your advent season is also very special and filled with peace.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE spirograph! I had one as a kid and we still have one here that belongs to my girls. Almost makes me want to get it out! :-)

Shannon said...

Next year we're planning on celebrating both Thanksgiving and Christmas locally. I'm very excited to not travel!

We used to do Christmas at Thanksgiving my my grandparents. It's weird having Thanksgiving without presents now. lol

Jenni S. said...

I think your attitude is wonderful. I hope you do enjoy such a "deliberate" holiday season!