Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yeah, it's over

I have mixed feelings about the election results. 

Typically I vote Republican. 
Typically my husband votes Democrat. 
Laughing...and typically we get along except for the one week in November every 4 years when we go to cancel out each other's votes. 

But this year I voted for: (drumroll please)... no one. 
Neither presidential candidate.
They both had wonderful things about their character that I liked, but they both had major ideas about life, the economy and the healthcare system that, quite frankly, scared the beejeebees out of me. I voted for all the other offices, but was paralyzed by the presidential vote.

Here's what I do think:

1. I'm glad it's over. That's for certain.

2. I'm saddened that the media is now being kind to McCain after so many weeks of pummeling. 

3. I'm impressed with the humility I see in Mr. Obama. He doesn't seem to have that lust for power like I see in others. I don't agree with all his policies, but I pray for him.

4. I was taught growing up to be wary of speaking ill in public of the president, no matter if his/her ideals meet mine. I still agree with this and intend to teach my daughter(s) the same.

5. Since my in-laws (okay, just the dad-in-law) have been trying to indoctrinate me with their democrat ideals for, say, 8 long years now, I'll be glad to eat dinner without political indigestion at Thanksgiving.  (I teased him about it this morning-- he already knows. We have that kind of relationship.)

6. I care an awful lot about our country. An awful lot. In fact, I'm watching our family budget more carefully to live better within our means. And I'm praying with greater fervor for her welfare. 

God Bless you, USA.

2 comments:

Jenni S. said...

So thankful it's over and we can hopefully move forward as a united country. Sometimes I wonder if that possibility still exists. Only time will tell.

Anonymous said...

You could have voted for Ralph Nader or one of the other candidates..... :-) I was very torn about whom to vote for until several days before the election, more so than in past years, I think. I didn't really like either choice, but did finally decide on the "lesser of two evils".