Sunday, November 16, 2008

Thanksgiving

Dan and I are hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year. 

I'm so excited. 

First, I'm excited because I'm having TONS of help. Dan and I are in charge of the turkey and pies. His mother and sister are doing the sides. Aren't they wonderful? 

And I choose to see my sciatica and nausea (yes, still) as a blessing in disguise. I am forced to delegate and rest. And if I don't, then it's sickville for me. And I love Thanksgiving. I have no intention of going to the Ville for the Ill. 

So here's some traditions I grew up with which I hope to continue in my family this year:

1. Watching the Thanksgiving Day Parade with my family in the morning. 

2. Having a fire in the fireplace.


3. A warm breakfast (waffles?) and then snackies for lunch to keep room for Thanksgiving dinner.

4. A table set with the Thanksgiving regalia all week long. China. Candles. Place cards. It's like looking at a beautiful sculpture all week. I'll set it up in our dining room so we'll eat like we normally do on our kitchen table all week until the big day.


5. My mother always set up a card table set up with a puzzle by the fire.

6. Beautiful instrumental music to set the tone. Lit candles. Warmth and beauty.

7. Football in the afternoon.

8. Coffee and dessert after our stomachs have settled from "round one". 


9. And most importantly, an overall attitude of thanks. Joy. Peace.

4 comments:

andrea said...

Sounds like you've got traditions set and you're ready to go! Have a great holiday; sounds like you will! You have much to be thankful for (including everything you've listed)!

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful. I remember watching the parade as a kid (I still do sometimes) and doing jigsaw puzzles, trying to save room for pie (but it's always difficult), etc. Have a great day.

Sittintall said...

Looks so good. I'm getting excited for Thanksgiving too. Your table looks beautiful, who wouldn't be excited.

Jenni S. said...

Those sound like some wonderful traditions! Hope you have a restful and peaceful Turkey Day!