Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Good

I am proud of my occupation: Mother. 

I couldn't always say that. I was never embarrassed of it, per se, except when high-powered looking people started flaunting their accomplishments. Then I would add to the conversation with my accomplishments. (Silly.) But now I'm coming to terms with the high honor it is to be a mother, a nurturer. 

I see the beauty in holding my infant and knowing that sometimes there is no cure for her fussiness but a long strong hold from momma. I smile at those times. It's good.

It's a job that is constantly changing. I kind of like that challenge. I like walking side by side Morgan as she sheds her babyness and embraces her girlness. I like painting her fingernails as an excuse to talk to her about girly things; it's one of the only times to get her to sit still. And as much as I disliked educating her about the female body parts (at her insistence), I like the fact that she accepted her femininity with surprising excitement. It's good.

Today I had an unexpected visit to the pediatrician. I went to pick up Morgan from preschool and in the course of a conversation with another mother, it had been suggested that baby Eve had an ear infection. I went to the doctor straight from there. In fact, it wasn't until we were at the doc's office that I realized that there was dried chocolate sauce dribbled down my shirt and onto my pants. The doctor was giving me instructions and I caught her eye volleying between my eyes and the stain on my shirt. Eyes. Stain. Eyes. Stain. I was very tempted to make light of my dirty situation but I told myself: "No. This is your uniform. Wear it proudly. Do not bring up your chocolate stain to the doctor." I spoke as intelligently as I could and did not break eye contact with the beautifully coiffed doctor. That was good, too.

And then, when I wearily came home, the baby was crying more and I needed to take a break from her. (She was, after all, fed, changed and warm.) So I went into my "office"... the ever-luxurious hot shower. I went primarily to drown out the sound of crying. I went to relax my weary muscles. And it didn't hurt to clean up a bit, too. It was very good.

And now... now I am blogging because tempted as I may be to pick up my adorable infant (who I think is now asleep)... I need to respect this precious time to recoup and become new again. Or at least new-ish. It's all good.


1 comment:

Jenni S. said...

Good for you, Emily - and not in some patronizing way, but I know that embracing full SAHM-hood is a HUGE hurdle for many moms and was one for me for some time.

So did Eve have an ear infection?

Hope you are getting the time and peace that you need to stay sane! Praying for that for you!