Friday, January 9, 2009

Grace

I am acutely aware of how impatient and controlling I am.

I bought bulk chapstick the other day so I could put it at all my "nursing stations" around the house. I'm dry all the time. I can't find them because I have a little friend who wants to be like her mother and immediately confiscated them for her own purposes. Patience, patience...

I had over 100 pictures developed yesterday of Eve and the family. I spent several minutes before dinner organizing them into piles for different family members. It felt so good to organize something, albeit small, during such a chaotic time. Then I hid them. Morgan found them. And put most of them in her new photo album book to take to school. I had already given her 30 pictures to put in her album. But she needed more. Patience...

I have a water bottle that I carry around so I can keep hydrated. Morgan wants to drink out of it even though I told her I have a sore throat. She wants my water bottle, not hers. Patience...

All day long I have a little girl who desperately wants her mother to know that she's trying to grow up and do things just like her mom. But her mom, unfortunately, is a grump lately and doesn't see the charm in her imitation. 

Grace to Morgan and me.

6 comments:

Short Stop said...

Praying that you feel His grace.

I can relate to every word. Though, having boys, the stealing photos and slipping them into an album would look more like stealing Jason's tools and drilling holes in the walls. :) Either scenario, patience is hard to come by - especially with a newborn.

Just know that He who made you - made you to do this great work of mothering both of your girls. And, His grace is with you - even when you don't feel it.

LOVE YOU so much.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your friend who posted before me. I pray for more patience every day. I threw a temper tantrum just this morning...after the boys decided it'd be a great idea to wash their new Thomas trains in SOAPY WATER while I was putting Madison down for a nap. That is, their new BATTERY-operated trains, which now don't work because the batteries got soaked. And so did my kitchen floor...hardwood...soaked.

And I leave you with this, when Aiden was desperate for me to come see his new track in the basement, I told him to wait and be patient. His response? "Yeah, patience is a bird chew." As in, "Patience is a virtue." HA!!

Jenny (Parent)

Beth said...

I don't know Em, some of these things I don't see as needing more patience. Don't get me wrong, I can always use more patience, but the picutre thing...after giving her a bunch of pictures...I'm pretty sure it would be straight to time out. Yes, having a newborn in rough, but my feeling is that 5 year olds should understand that no means no in whatever situation we are in. We'll find out soon enough around our house. Can't wait to see your beautiful little one, oh yeah, and Eve too!

Emily Dykstra said...

Good points, ladies... thank you!

Beth-- I agree with your idea to discipline. I'm pretty consistent with discipline usually. But lately it has been every. single. thing. she. does. seems. to. need. discipline. Seriously. So I'm trying to weigh the motives behind her actions to determine if it is defiance or something else. It's just plain exhausting.

Laughing... before Eve was born, my little Miss Morgan was a lot more compliant. *sigh*

Love them both, though.

Anonymous said...

Em, I understand what you are going through. After Cailyn was born, Carissa acted in some ways that I had never seen before. I think some of it was just ways to get attention since Cailyn was getting so much. But I agree with Beth that some things do require a bit of discipline, depending on the situation. Hang in there. It will get better. Praying for you!

Jenni S. said...

Oh I can totally relate to this. I can't tell you how many times throughout the day I've stopped and prayed for patience right before dealing with one of the girls. There have even been times when I felt my anger boiling over that I would stop and pray with them before we talked - that they would have ears to hear and that I would be able to discipline out of love. Sigh. It's *such* a balancing act.