Saturday, January 3, 2009

Square Dance

I can't believe it. I'm blogging. 

I'm not the most strong of women-folk when it comes to breastfeeding. I find the process very rewarding and also a lot of work. A lot. I can almost hear a caller at a square dance as I attempt to navigate each day:

"Now pick up your partner from her crib.
Check her pants for things unclean.

Try to not step on your 5 yr old's toes.
She's underfoot now, there she goes.

You've just changed your infant just to find
That she's pooped again and you want to sigh.

But keep your head 'cause the day is long
If you lose your mind, it'll go all wrong.

Now sleep when you can and sleep when you can't
'Cause there's no time for stopping to rest or pant

When the babe's awake and crying for food
You'll be much more happy if you're not crying, too.

Then go to sleep for a fitful rest
And do it again 'til they're grown at last."

And in the midst of it all, as I look at my beautiful daughters I know that this is 

exactly 

what 


wanted.

2 comments:

Kathryn Clark said...

Yes Em, it's exactly what we wanted isn't it. Hang in there says the Mom of a 3 month old baby girl. It's all worth it, tears and all. Love you girl, Kathryn

Jenni S. said...

I can't beleve you have the brain cells to rhyme! LOL.

I'm sure you're doing a fabulous job. It's OK to feel overwhelmed at adjusting to something you wanted for so long. Even if we were granted every desire of our hearts all the time, it would still require adjustment.