Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Family?

Today I found myself taking sides with someone I normally would not: Britney Spears.

If I may, let me set the stage. Today I watched a TIVOed show of Oprah. Halle Berry was the guest star and, as many of you know, she is expecting her first child. She's gorgoues, talented and has a beautiful spirit. I think she's wonderful. But as she was talking to Oprah about her pregnancy, she mentioned that she has no intent of marrying again.

Halle Berry has been married twice before. She's not too keen on jumping the broom because she rather likes her relationship with her new beau and she's probably afraid of the results of marriage. Understandable.

As I was watching the crowd clap and support Halle's decision, I was thinking that I would probably be the pooper at that show. I can't support her decision. I couldn't possibly think of starting a family with a person who may/ may not be committed to the future of the family.

Another popular family-ish structure is Brangelina. They're also gorgeous, talented and highly sensitive to world issues. I commend their adopting of children, but I really don't see how rescuing a child from an orphanage in a poor country would be any more secure than the jello-like commitment they'll receive from their, er, parents? How do you call someone "father" one day and then "buddy" the next? I'm just wondering.

Here's my question for Hollywood: Why is raising a child considered less of a commitment than marriage? Because that's the message I'm getting.

Call me old fashioned, but the family structure is losing the strength of its name. I found myself thinking that of recent celebrities, Britney Spears waited until marriage to have her children. I've got to applaud her. She's not popular right now for her maternal skills, but way to go, Britney. Some things are worth doing right.

9pm Addendum: I'd like to clarify that I know several single women who have adopted or used modern technology to have children on their own because they were not able to marry or their husband died. One woman I know in particular is a fantastic parent. Her children will know security in her loving maternal care.

I shudder for children for whom the terms "Mommy" and "Daddy" fluctuate so much that they don't know the eternalness of the word.

*sigh* My own daughter will come home in two days and I miss her very much. Can't wait to see you, honey!

2 comments:

Kris said...

Amen sister! I feel for our society when it seems that Hollywood is setting the bar for what a family should look like. How often do we hear about people who have great marriages and good kids in Tinseltown?
K

Janice said...

I sort of see it a bit different. Children aren't less of a committment, but rather the committment that marriage used to be. Celebs, and normal people too, don't see marriage as "for life" whether because they have experienced multiple marriages, friends have, or their own parents have, and the term starter wife/husband is gaining popularity. Instead the committment is shown by having a child- in star terms, by Brad adopting Angelina's children. That is committment- just not the traditional kind some expect. Things are different for so many reasons. I am 32.5 years old and single. I have no idea if marriage is out there for me, or kids, or what will end up constituting family for me. It shouldn't be judge by what it looks like, but how it performs and what it adds to the world.