Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Painting

My daughter Morgan is gone for the week. I kind of miss that squirt. I really do. But I'm trying to stay focused and busy on my housework so that I don't dwell on it.

Today, for example, I painted the downstairs bath and prepped the painting of the office. I forgot how very much work painting is. I want to hire someone out, but I'm supposed to be saving my shekels for a minivan, so I'm contracting myself to do the brunt of the work.

I also began (in futility) to stain Morgan's playset. It was pointless because apparently one is supposed to wash the OLD stain off before applying NEW stain. Who knew? For some reason I thought wood was thirsty and would easily soak up the hearty redwood hue I bought. No such luck.
Note to self: Wood stain is harder to accomplish than Morgan's shirt stains.

It is very strange being home alone during the day. I left my ipod on to play (in order) all of the 400+ songs I loaded onto it to keep me company. I abandoned the playlist option and let it play whatever it wanted. It was kind of trippy- first it would play a little Vivaldi, then Sixpence, Sting and some Third Day.

I began to get tired towards the end of the day which was evident by my fuzzy vision, distracted rolling of paint and eventual immersion of my left foot into a gallon of Yarmouth Blue JC Licht paint. I groaned, wrapped my dripping foot in a plastic bag and hobbled upstairs for a midday foot bath. I wanted to take a photo, but visions of baptizing my digital camera in the same paint prevented me from doing so. You'll just have to believe me.

Well, that's all for now. I wanted to get more done, but given that I don't want to have another happy paint accident, I'm going to call it a day. Tomorrow promises more painting fun.

4 comments:

Kris said...

Good luck on your house projects! I fully understand the missing Morgan part. It's what we want sometimes and then, at the same time, it's not. Enjoy your time, and paint happy!
K

andrea said...

When you're done with that you can come and paint my new room in Antarctica, right?

Sittintall said...

You should hire Kris out, she loves to paint! HeeHee. I can vouch for the dislike of painting. The fumes really get to you. Good luck with this week!

Unknown said...

Sorry, honey! Painting is a rough job...never seems like it, though. Still, I think you're doing a great job!