Sunday, October 21, 2007

Preoccupied: Me

A Poem on the Autumn of Life


When the days strung together
in blurry-eyed blunders
and the rain came again and again

When I questioned my place
and my face and my gender
and wondered if strength would regain

Then I settled quite nicely
in the cave of the lonely
and took claim of "Preoccupied: Me"

Then a sharp stream of light
in a form oh most friendly
materialized there in my midst

And the misty-eyed days
were just remnants of haze
on the cusp of the joy that would come

In her deep and strong eyes
Lay a message most strong:
That my gaze was "Preoccupied: Me"

So I took up the notion
That life was worth living
And living with vigorous might

I picked up my dreams
in the midst of that drought
And proceeded to live life again

For the days that proceed
A request still remains:
Farewell, then, "Preoccupied: Me"

2 comments:

Short Stop said...

Beautiful poem...thinking of you!

Kris said...

Em-this is beautiful.
K