Friday, October 19, 2007

Gots to be Thankful

It has been hard to blog lately, friends. In east coast language it has been "wicked hard".
Laughing... there's nothing glamorous about the "waiting" period of life. I prefer "waiting" to, say "grieving", but still...

I know exactly what God wants from me right now: Stillness. He wants me to enjoy His current provisions and be thankful.

I don't wanna be still. I want action.

I've tried doing massive house projects. Not a lot of satisfaction there.

I've tried keeping the house uber clean and organized. *yawn*

I've even tried working myself into a silly stupor of freelancing followed by maniac attention-giving momma loving and a chaser of Martha Stewart white-gloving my already-clean house. *Cuckoo*

But then I had a great heart-to-heart with my husband a week ago. He forbade us (and by "us" he meant "me") from taking on any more house projects for now. No painting. No buying of art or textiles. We're focusing on our family and putting the fun back into our home.

At first I didn't know what to do with myself. I am not a fun person. For the love of Pete, my very name means "diligent".

Plus, I'm a hound for the domestic. Telling me to only maintain my home and not improve it is almost like cutting me off at the knees. But I know why he did it. He's right: We need the joy back in our family. We need to rest. And above all, we need dance parties.

That's right. Dance parties. God wants me to be still and I'm getting jiggy.

If you were to peek in our house any given night, you'd hear Morgan yelling at us to keep moving. We're blaring music from the credits of movies. We're testing the limits of the SoundDock (impressive). We're shaking booty.

Are we good dancers? Probably not.

Having fun? Yep.

So what's the big deal? Well, we're smiling. All of us. We're grooving and wagging our carcasses to Morgan's Nazi-esque demands for more, More, MORE. And in the midst of the fancy foot work, all of us are grinning.

Somehow the flailing limbs and dexterous derrieres are emitting thankfulness. We're grateful for health and joy and family and home. We're thankful for love and faith. We're thankful for voices and hands. We're thankful for friends and laughter.

You're welcome to stop by. We probably won't let you in on our dance parties. But you can share in the joy.

3 comments:

Sittintall said...

What great medicine for the weary at heart. I have to admit, that when life gets you down, dancing usually picks you back up (even if for just awhile). Morgan knows whats good! Have fun at your dancing party!

Anonymous said...

I don't know what they teach down in MD, but don't lump all us east coasters together. No one in New York says "wicked" anything, unless they're going to see the show on Broadway.

Emily Dykstra said...

Oh, I'm sorry, Marc. Let me rephrase.

The cool east coasters say "wicked hard".

All others just say "hard".