Friday, October 12, 2007

Friday Morning Musings



It’s trash day. This involves a few extra minutes of morning scrambling. Actually, it took a bit more time than usual. I asked Dan earlier in the week to bleach out our trash can (the large city-issued kind- it’s mammoth!) so I could put the trash back in. Something wrong grew inside our bin and it needed the clear message of Clorox to convince it to not come back.

Dan had a big week. He was busy. And I didn’t want to nag him about it.

The trash can was drying out in our back yard all week. Which meant that the trash (10 bags?) was piling up on his side of the garage. He actually didn’t mind parking on top of it. I’m trying to not be so controlling. He works really hard during the week. I need to learn to let some things go. Besides, car transmissions need the fumes of overly ripe produce. Can’t hurt, right?

I looked outside to a beautiful, quiet fall morning. The sun was resistant to rise. Aren’t we all? But by 7:00, the sky was a masterpiece. I soaked it in, despite the feeling that I’m forgetting something. Enjoy the sunrise, Emily. Just one minute.

The nagging thought in the back of my mind was remembered: Morgan needs pants desperately. It’s cold outside. Remember to return her birthday clothes (a bit too big) for smaller ones. And remember to get her more socks and jammies. The kiddo is growing.

“Mom! I can’t drink my milk!” My thoughts are interrupted. She used to take a daily sippy cup of milk which I mixed with her constipation medicine. She’s one corked missy. But since we confiscated her sippys on her 4th birthday (under the guise of “graduation”) she is reluctant to drink her milk + medicine. It took 15 minutes. At least.

I bribe her with new, unopened packages of Playdoh. With each gulp of milk she negotiates with me: “Now, Mom? Can I play now?” Not until the milk is done. What to do tomorrow when the Playdoh bribe won’t work.

I negotiate with the 4 year old in me. I have easily three days worth of errands and tasks that I need (okay, want) to get done today. As usual, logic prevails and I engage in triage: women and children first. Er, that would be clients and Morgan first. Then Dan and Emily tasks.

The phone is ringing. It’s probably a family member wanting to greet us for the weekend. But this morning begs me to be quiet. I comply.

Hello, Friday. I’ll be your Emily.

4 comments:

A girl who loves said...

Beautiful photo.

How about a "decorate it yourself" starbucks mug or like cup from the craft store? I know it sounds old, but I think you can decorate the cup with photos, stickers, etc. for her special cup only to be used on mornings with medicine. Sparkles, perhaps?

Unknown said...

Umm...sorry I left the garbage can in the backyard. At first it was to let it dry. Then I was a little busy. Then I forgot for a while. Then I found that my car fit better in the garage without the trash can. Then I forgot again. Then it was Friday and I moved it. Heheh. ;)

Short Stop said...

Awesome pic, Em!!

Ew, I hate trash day. I hate the trash in general...and yes, ours piles up in our garage sometimes cause I'm too lazy to carry it to the other side of the garage where the trash can is. 'course, I can't blame J for that.

I hope you got some things accomplished. I was so excited about going to the mall today to try and further clothe Jack...alas, I sit here still in my p.j's. Wanna come hang out? :):)

Kris said...

Great picture! I know how hard it is to even take that moment to replenish ourselves with all the other stuff draining us...
K