Monday, January 21, 2008

S.A.D., S.A.D., Go Away

Does anyone else get S.A.D. in the winter?

I haven't been officially diagnosed, but it doesn't take an M.D. to ask, "So, do you feel really moody and sad without a reason in the long, dark winter days?"

I'm hesitant to go to a doc because I'm afraid I would snap, "DUH! Who doesn't get downright dumpy in this sorry excuse for a season?" Grace and diplomacy go out the window.

(I did obtain a sunlamp a year or so ago which does make some difference in my outlook on life; I do recommend it for my northern-bound friends who suffer similarly.)

Well, back to my story: I found myself mentally complaining a lot. I won't divulge my ungrateful thoughts because, well, that would only get you down as well.

But then I read a really touching article on Yahoo. A Saudi couple have been told that their marriage of several years has been annulled. The oldest child (2 yrs.) has been separated from the parents; the younger one has been allowed to stay with the mother. In jail.

The wife's family has caused this stir; apparently Saudi women need the permission and authority of their family to wed.

The wife is now still under some form of incarceration, but is holding out hope that the king might pardon her.

As for her love of her husband, she says: "I love him more than ever. He's the only one who has stood by me," she said.

As I considered my unfulfilled desires and shallow wants, I reframed my thinking:
I can hear my husband tinkering away at his brew station down in the basement.
What a great guy. I'm crazy about him.

I can hear my curmudgeon daughter playing in the tub.
I can't help my grin when she says "helfy" for "healthy".
She's been so funny and somewhat naughty all day, but boy she makes me laugh.

I'm in a warm home and I have freedom of religion. To some, these needs are not met.

In the end I realize, the only thing imprisoning me are my thoughts.

I still recognize the seriousness of S.A.D., but I'm going to fight it with more than my sunlamp.

4 comments:

Short Stop said...

My Dad suffered with this. It was always SO hard on him during the long winters!

I love your outlook, Em. Keep those things that make you smile and happy in the forefront of your mind! Those two precious people that live with you are sure to bring sunshine into your life on these cold, long winter days!

Sheryl said...

I Do!! I Do!!! For years now! I was diagnosed years ago, but I don't take any medication or anything for it b/c it's not as severe as depression. Just that overall icky feeling!

And you're right...we're consumed by our thoughts that bring us down! Twice last week I had "life crisis'" that just were escalated by the dreary, cold weather!!! But at the end of the week, I told myself it's all in my head and attitude and no one can change my outlook on life except for me - and the help of God!!

It's tough to do for sure, but we can either be consumed by SAD or we can overcome it w/ little pieces of hope, encouragement and prayer! :)

Keep your chin up babe!

Janice said...

your comment on imprisoning thoughts reminded me of a favorite quote: "if you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought". thank you for reminding me of it. no ijust need to apply it!

Kris said...

Oh Em, I am so proud that you are trying to put your most positive thoughts out there. You ARE a strong woman and you are right to see those people in your life you mean the most. Love them and love yourself, girl.
K