Friday, February 23, 2007

Eden All Over Again

Isn't is funny how when you tell a child to NOT do something, that's precisely what they intend to do... all day? That's what I've been reminded of this week.

Our house is in the midst of primping for the marketplace. Dan did a great job putting in a tile floor in the back room. It looks really great. It's been challenging, however, keeping Morgan or her little friends out of the room she has dubbed the "echo" room. With no furniture, the room's noise factor goes up considerably. Morgan loves the sound of her own voice, so she can hardly stand it when I tell her to NOT enter the room until the mortar/grout/sealant dries. Suddenly, that is virtually the only room she wants to be in.

Our buffet in the dining room is now a "construction tools" table. It seemed like a good central area to put all the tools while we use them from day to day. To Morgan, it's a smorgasbord of ouchies. "Can I touch this? How about this? Can I just play with this screwdriver for one minute?"

I'm also reminded recently of why I'm not too keen on the idea of having a house built or doing heavy construction again. It takes a toll on family life. I want to be a wise mother and know when to invest in our house (put in a tile floor) and when to invest in my family. Laughing... they seem mutually exclusive. If anyone thinks otherwise, I'd love to be proved wrong.

Wish us good fortune as we try to sell our house and buy a new one. The artist in me wants charming; the mother in me wants move-in condition. Methinks I won't be able to buy both a charming and move-in condition home. Maybe I'll trash both ideas and buy a trailer home. :)

No comments: