Saturday, February 10, 2007

Praying

In December 2003, our daughter Morgan was baptized. She was 2 months young and her only abilities at that point involved eating, sleeping and the effects of eating.

I remember a lot from that beautiful baptism. Mostly I remember that I vowed to teach her to pray. I found it an interesting vow. It was specific, for one thing. It was not vague, like vowing to teach her to "be nice". I also remember being disheartened by the vow I just made because at that particular time in life I struggled immensely with the reason for praying. I wasn't interested in bringing Morgan along for my bumpy prayer life. Mothers should have answers, I thought, not more questions.

It's been an interesting process teaching our daughter to pray.

Her first prayer I wrote in her baby book. She thanked God for her "syrup and pancakes and syrup and pancakes..." It was one of those precious "aww" moments following by a stifled laugh and "Good girl, Morgan. You did a very good job."

More recently she has discovered that she can bring anything to God. And she's not off base, strange as her prayers are.

When visiting some friends this week, during lunch she prayed for one of her three-year old friends, a boy. It was something to the effect of: "And please help my friend to be more quiet because he is very loud." I was pretty embarrassed about that one. The tattletale variety. Still, she sees God as being a Father, I suppose.

Also this week, a friend of mine and her daughter caught the flu. Morgan and I prayed regularly for them at mealtimes and bedtime. Morgan prayed that Jesus would "make them better". It was a beautiful prayer.

But lately Morgan has also been requesting prayer for herself. I confess having a feeling of sacrilege praying her heart-felt sentiment: Morgan wishes to turn into a star. We asked her what she meant and we're thankful that she did not mean the celebrity version. Morgan simply wants to be a twinkling light in the sky. Nearly every mealtime Morgan will interrupt Dan's prayer and harshly whisper "Dad, remember to ask that I'll be a star." She smiles hopefully as she asks for it, but she doesn't appear to be trying to get attention. For once. No, it's her heart-felt prayer.

And now for the twist: Three years ago I vowed to teach Morgan to pray and this child, who was a helpless FETUS 4 years ago, is teaching ME to pray. She doesn't have long prayers or use big theological words. Sometimes she gets distracted and tells God stories, but in the end, she has a conversation with our loving Creator.

I'm comforted by my daughter's simple prayer life. Lately life feels too burdensome to pray. The prayer is too large and complicated to bring before God. But I've taken a page out of Morgan's prayer life and offered it up. Just a sentence, maybe two. But completely heart-felt.

No comments: