Thursday, February 15, 2007

Of Goddess Mothers

My friend Ann is a goddess. I worship the domestic ground she walks on.

Yesterday I watched Ann's twin 3-year old boys for a few hours while she did some stuff at home. (She helped me watch Morgan last week when I did some freelancing work.)

The day was great. I had a little Valentine party for the kiddos and they seemed to enjoy the games and snacks. (Hellooooo, sugar.) The children were all quite good. They did things that three-year olds like to do, but nothing too life-threatening.

I'd like to tell you about lunchtime, however, because this meal made me utterly respect Ann in raising so many children. (She also has a daughter in kindergarten.) The menu consisted of chicken nuggets, strawberries and red heart-shaped jello. Upon finding out that cookies trump jello, I whipped out some graham crackers and put some pink frosting on it for them to decorate. When you read the next dialogues, try to read all three at once so you can get the full effect of the trio:

Kid 1: Yeah lunch!
Kid 2: Yippee lunch!
Kid 3: I'm not hungry.

Kid 1: I love chicken nuggets!
Kid 2: I love chicken nuggets and strawberries!
Kid 3: I like strawberries. Can I just have strawberries?

Kid 1: I'm thirsty. Can I have milk?
Kid 2: Do you have juice?
Kid 3: Can I have water?

Kid 1: I need a spoon!
Kid 2: Me too!
Kid 3: Me too!

Kid 1: I want a fork now.
Kid 2: I want a fork.
Kid 3: Give me a fork.

Kid 1: I love jello
Kid 2: I love jello, too!
Kid 3: I don't want jello. I want cookies.

Kid 1: Thank you for the cookies!
Kid 2: I love cookies
Kid 3: This isn't a cookie. This is a cracker.

Kid 1: I'm finished.
Kid 2: Can I have more?
Kid 3: I like strawberries.

It was a riot. Ann does this EVERY day. What an amazing woman. Hats off to all friends out there with more than one kiddo!

No comments: